Lunar eclipse

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Since nobody has mentioned it there is gonna be a lunar eclipse tonight on the east coast starting at 9:30 and peaking at 11:15. I guess nobody mentioned it since the world away from the avrage macaddicts monitor glow is scary.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Looks pretty cloudy where I am right now, but there's still a chance to catch glimpses of the eclipse between breaks in the clouds.

I've added a link to some extra info about viewing the eclipse to the home page of my astronomy web site, http://www.skyviewcafe.com/.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    pretty good sight to see, although from here (houston) there was not even a hint of red. still cool, though...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    What part of the sky should I be looking at (me being on the West Coast)? East, West, North, South, what?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    umm...doesnt matter really--its all the way black now. cant see it...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, it's gone here in MN too.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    It's beautiful. No red really though.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It was hazy here and plain old whitish-yellow...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I worked until 2am outside with about 100 people, everybody watched the moon to kill time....pretty cool to watch.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I caught one brief, hazy glimpse of the eclipse, about 20 minutes after totality ended, through a small break in the otherwise annoyingly relentless cloud cover in my area.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I stayed up till 3 am here to see the lunar eclipse, and when I looked out, it... was... cloudy! Oh well. That is a cool picture.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Can someone with a tad of astronomical cred (Shetline) give me a nice, brief explanation of why the shadow crept UP from BELOW the moon to cover it, but then slid to the RIGHT to reveal it again? Somebody I was working with last night asked about that and two of us tried to convince him that it was because the Earth upon which we stood had rotated so far around that we were seeing the moon from an angle that was almost 90º away from where the eclipse had started.

So were we right? Can anyone explain it better?

And for those who missed it, don't worry, it almost LOOKED like it was being obscured by clouds.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Can someone with a tad of astronomical cred (Shetline) give me a nice, brief explanation of why the shadow crept UP from BELOW the moon to cover it, but then slid to the RIGHT to reveal it again? Somebody I was working with last night asked about that and two of us tried to convince him that it was because the Earth upon which we stood had rotated so far around that we were seeing the moon from an angle that was almost 90º away from where the eclipse had started.

So were we right? Can anyone explain it better?

And for those who missed it, don't worry, it almost LOOKED like it was being obscured by clouds.

um were you facing the same direction as when it began? were you out there 6 hours?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

I stayed up till 3 am here to see the lunar eclipse, and when I looked out, it... was... cloudy! Oh well. That is a cool picture.

I know that feeling. When we had the solar eclipse here in '99, we had perfect weather for the whole week before. But at time of the eclipse, it was cloudy and raining... It was a strange feeling watching TV in order to see what was going on over our heads.