Changing a PATH variable?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
[rob@localhost Documents]$ ./LimeWireLinux.bin Preparing to install... Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive... Configuring the installer for this system's environment... No Java virtual machine could be found from your PATH environment variable. You must install a VM prior to running this program. [rob@localhost Documents]$

How can that be altered?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    PATH is an environment variable. Open a terminal and type in "echo $PATH" to see what it is set to:

Code:

[stoopowerbook:~] stoo% echo $path

/bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin

What this means is that when I type commands into the terminal, the folders listed in PATH are searched for the corresponding application. It looks like LimeWire requires a Java virtual machine to be located in one of these folders, as you might expect in Linux.

I'd expect copying an alias of the Java virtual machine to one of the above directories would work. Messing with the setenv command, which changes enviroment variables, is not recommended (it reminds me too much of ReEdit for Classic Mac OS ). I don't think that the Finder can access those directories, so open up a terminal and type:

Code:

[stoopowerbook:~] stoo% sudo cp JavaVMalias /bin

This copies the file named "JavaVMalias" to the bin directory, making available via the PATH enviroment variable. A handy place to store the alias would be your home directory, as this is where terminals open to. If you want to change directories, use the command "cd foldername". "cd .." moves you up one folder, and "cd ~" takes you back to the home directory. To see what's in a folder, use the command "ls". The Macintosh HD corresponds to the root directory, "/".

"sudo" means that the following command is performed as the super user, as regular users cannot alter special folders like /bin, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin. Typing the first few letters of the JVM's alias' name then hitting tab should auto-complete it. As only a folder is specified as a destination, the destination file will have the same name as the source. No idea what name Limwire is expecting for a JVM though: might be in the documentation.

If anything goes wrong and you want to delete the JVM alias, then:

Code:

[stoopowerbook:~] stoo% ls /bin/

[stoopowerbook:~] stoo% ls /bin/

[ csh echo ln ps sh test

bash date ed ls pwd sleep zsh

cat dd expr mkdir rcp stty zsh-4.0.4

chmod df hostname mv rm sync

cp domainname kill pax rmdir tcsh

JavaVMalias

[stoopowerbook:~] stoo% sudo rm /bin/JavaVMalias

The files are write protected, so you will need to type "y" to finish the deletion. Mac OS X would probably not mind but listing folder contents from the terminal might be tricky if you delete "ls". If there are spaces in the filename autocompletion will deal with them.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    yes, limewire is a java application. But why dont you just use the macosx version of limewire. Why you messing on the command line ?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    This is for a friend who just switched over to Linux from Windows. Limewire is still a Java app... no matter the platform. I just installed the Linux version and it's working better than the Mac OS X version. Stoo thanks for that procedure.