I finally upgraded to OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Andit was completely painless. I can't get over how much better and more modern the interface looks. Everything - internet, email, iTunes 4 - works great.

My only problem is that I did a very basic installation, which means I didn't partition my hard drive. So I've got OS 9 folders and applications all over the place. What is the best way for me to handle these? Should I just gather them all up in a couple of folders and name them conspicuously?

I can envision never needing Classic again. All I really do is Office stuff (I've got Office X), internet and email. But for now, I'd like to keep OS 9 intact and available should I need it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Congrats.

You can reorganize your OS 9 files/ apps. Just make sure you don't rename the OS 9 System Folder (or the OS X System folder either.)

You will probably find as I have that you don't need any OS 9 or Classic things on your computer. I haven't been there for almost 2 years. Doesn't really take up that much space though it may come in handy for troubleshooting so I would probably leave it be.

I'm on one partition and have had no problems. This goes back to the early OS X days.

Hope you enjoy X.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    Go grimson, go grimson!

Welcome to the party
  • Reply 3 of 12
    When I went I went cold turkey. I droppped EVERYTHING OS 9 and went all out. (since if you don't go all out, why go?)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Welcome to the Aqua party!

In theory, all your OS 9 applications should already be in the Applications (OS 9) folder (the whole reason that was put into 9 was to make the transition easier), and it's a handy place to leave them.

Everything else, just throw it into your Home folder: in the Unix way of thinking, you shouldn't really keep personal stuff in the root of the hard drive, but for most OS X users who have the box to themselves, it doesn't really make any difference.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    You can actually rename the OS9 System Folder--mine is named

"Classic" and I have no problems selecting it to boot OS9 when I need to.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    Thanks everyone.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

You can actually rename the OS9 System Folder--mine is named

"Classic" and I have no problems selecting it to boot OS9 when I need to.

Although if you ever find need to boot into 9 (not sure whym just if you did) that could cause problems....Of course, while yours obviously can, since you just switched, new Macs can't boot 9 anyway, so yeah, just thought i'd throw that out there. And welcome to X, it took me a while to be convinced, but 10.1 finally did it for me, I've been in X for a year and a half now, and love it. And I find myself using classic less and less all the time. When I first switched, I used it a lot, but now I only keep it around for a couple of apps, that I have to use every once and a while, and are 9 only. Anyway, yeah, done rambling now...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Classic? Wasn't that something that you would start via some SysPrefs Pane or automatically by installing and running some strange old software? I can't really remember any more... :P
  • Reply 9 of 12
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I mentioned the issue about not renaming your system folders because to date that is the only time I have ever had a kernal panic.

That was a scary thing at the time because it was only a few versions past the 10.0 beta version. (10.0.3 or something.) All of that crazy printing flew on the screen and nobody on the forums really knew what to tell me.

Danged if I can remember what I actually ended up doing to solve it. That seems so long ago and OS X is so much better these days.

Have fun.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    great!

...now the world has lost another sucker
  • Reply 11 of 12
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I have to run Classic for the odd thing, so I am keeping it for now. I don't have it on a separate partition and have never, to my knowledge, had any difficulties due to this fact. I just use separate folders. Then again, what do I know?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    It's not a problem, Apple went to a lot of work to make that sort of setup work just fine: the only real reason you'd want to keep OS 9 on a separate partition is in case one or another OS hoses itself and requires reinstalling: you'd only have to do the one, rather than both.

My OS 9 installation lives on another hard drive, on the shelf...