Doesn't anyone Drive anymore?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Maybe your all to busy "saving the environment" or "getting out more" or "your 'folks' won't cough up the keys to the minnie van" cause I feel like I'm the only one missing Carmageddon. It was a few short months ago that I driving about smashing in to peds and catching HUGE air off the train track in that logging camp. I bought a footlong, and If you have ever tried to run Carmageddon in CLassic mode you'll know that its unplayable... I'm rambling, I miss Carmageddon, are we ever going to get something like that again? or are we all condemn to running, not driving. First person Killers are fun, But driving is better.

new driving games coming? please.

flick.\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I would gladly pay *full price* for a port of Carmageddon II. (Actually, there was a discussion about this the other week at MacNN.) But really........ that game was amazing. Hell.... they should just port all three over to OS X. And I'll repeat myself- I'd pay full price for that.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    $80 Canadian <its worth more than it did> From me FOR SURE.

flick.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I'd like to see more car games in general, and not just boring race around in circles games.

I'm thinking Twisted Metal for Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    http://www.racer.nl

I've been tinkering with this baby off and on for the past year. Very cool.

Then go here for additional cars and tracks:

http://www.racer-xtreme.com/
  • Reply 6 of 16
    cybermonkeycybermonkey Posts: 604member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

http://www.racer.nl

I've been tinkering with this baby off and on for the past year. Very cool.

Then go here for additional cars and tracks:

http://www.racer-xtreme.com/

Didnt racer start out on the amiga back in the day when gateway owned it? just wondering.

As for driving games go, couldnt agree with you more, maybe someday theyll be aport of motogp, but untill then you cant get any better than wipeout 2097, ok the graphics arent up to todays standards, but its fast and addictive.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I'm getting my ped-overrunning freak on these day with Grand Theft Auto 3. Officially the game I have played most extensively in my life. It's not exclusively a racing game, but there are some races in there, and you can race yourself all you like, and then get out and do some manual damage. Now that's a game I'd pay for if it ever reached the mac.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    No, you may be thinking of another game by the name Racer. This Racer is fairly demanding on the CPU and GPU and I doubt the old Amiga could have ever handled it.

Here's a snippet from the FAQ:

Quote:

1.1 What is Racer?

A free car simulation project, focusing on realism. It also focuses on supporting file formats that make it possible to add your own cars and tracks with relative ease (compared to commercial closed car sims).

Notice the version number, indicating this is NOT a finished product.

Quote:

1.8 Who creates Racer?

The software is done by me, Ruud van Gaal. Slightly under the roof of my company, MarketGraph BV, but still mainly as a hobby. The graphics were just partly done by me (most menu items), but all the cars & tracks are done by the Racer community.

• Reply 9 of 16
    I thought Grand Theft Auto 3 was coming to mac..

what would it take to port Carmageddon to OSX? would a patch do it? does anyone have the know how to get this done?

Is anyone out there making anything like Carmageddon?

flick.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The aircraft carrier on the multi-player level was cheap. My brother and I would do the same thing all the time. Race to the bombs and take all before the other person got any. The second person who didn't make it to the bombs would try to get down to the second story and bounce all the aircraft, hopefully smashing the other car. (it actually works!) Not muchpoint to that level; we always do the same thing.8)
  • Reply 11 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Racer is cool. How do I fullscreen it?

Twisted Metal for Mac is what I want Still waiting for a PS2 emulator...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I loved the Airport, Something about smashing through third story window of the main terminal armed to the gills with Morter shells into the path of your buddies Eagle made me feel like I was in Die Hard or something. super fun.

agian. I want this on OSX.

flick.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Yes the airport was one of the best, Rock query was fun to but nothing beats the carnival stage.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Yeah the Carnival was great. once we had Five macs in our shop.. I'll tell you driving around with Four other friends was soo fun.. I really miss it. I wonder why Carnage Driving games don't really come out anymore.. sad.

flick.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I think besides running peds over adn watching their parts fly everyware and catching them with the door, the damage was the best part of the game. It was SOOO realist compared to any game of its time or even modern games.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Racer is cool. How do I fullscreen it?

In the Racer directory, open the gfx.ini file in a text editor.

Go and set "fullscreen=1" in the "resolution" block and be sure it is not preceded by a semicolon -- the lines marked with semicolons are commented out and ignored.

Then, set the "width" and "height" attributes in the same "resolution" block to the resolution you wish the monitor to switch to.

Yeah, it's a little cumbersome, but the game is still under pretty heavy development.