What differences can I expect...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...going from a 800MHz G4 iMac w/ 100MHz bus, no L3 cache, nVidia GeForce2MX 32MB graphics and 512MB RAM to:

1.2GHz G4 PowerBook with 133MHz bus, 1MB L3 cache, ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 with 64MB and, say, 1GB RAM?

The PowerBook specs are my reasonable estimates of what the new aluminum 15" will have (based on expected bump in clockspeed from the current 1GHz and what is currently on the Titanium 15"...but I'm being conservative because some of those might be higher too?).

Just trying to psych myself up a bit. Giving myself something to look forward to!

Are we talking subtle or dramatic? Noticeable at all to me? Just an overall snappiness in all areas? Could be a possible 400MHz jump in clockspeed alone, then factoring in the bus, cache and graphics...

I've never had a "pro" machine before and I'm just curious. I think I've decided on what my laptop will be: If this new 15" is basically the 17" specs/features put into the 15" model, I'm on it! I can do without the lighted keyboard...that isn't a "deal killer". But it would be cool.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i thought you were waiting for the widescreen iBook running a 1 gig G4??

the PB you mention would of course come with the required "snappiness"

i think the 15" al will also have a 167 bus

but i know nothing, and yet i still type...silly me

g
  • Reply 2 of 17
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

i thought you were waiting for the widescreen iBook running a 1 gig G4??

Well, if they'd BUILD it, I would! It's not my fault they don't know a righteous idea when they see one!

I got places to go, people to see, things to do! A fella could grow old and gray sitting around waiting for his dream iBook to materialize.

So I might as well hop on what they actually have (or WILL have shortly).

But I GUARANTEE you, this will happen: I'll bite the bullet and drop $2700 or so on the new SuperDrive-equipped 15" aluminum iBook.

Approximately 17 days later, Apple will - COMPLETELY out of the blue - unveil a G4-based, widescreen iBook for $1499.

I'll strangle Jobs with my bare hands.

• Reply 3 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    PowerBook allows display spanning....with iMac doesn't.

To me. Display spanning is Godsend
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Did you mean "iBook", Leonis?

Yeah, I agree. My little fantasy scenario (not that one...) would be to have the 15" PowerBook because a) I think I'd enjoy a nice 1280x854 life after years of being Mr. 1024x768 and b) there would be no compromises on it (like there are on the 12"). But, while at home, I'd like to have a cool, larger display to hook it too for extra workspace. That would indeed be a really nice set-up...best of all worlds, really.

I'd REALLY love to see Apple replace their recently discontinued 17" Studio Display with a 17" widescreen model at 1440x900 (just like the 17" iMac and PowerBook). That would be a great monitor! Two page spreads in InDesign, room for all your palettes in Photoshop and Illustrator, space for Safari, Mail and iChat not overlapping/blocking each other, etc.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Hmm
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Wow, that's amazing!

I'm not in SoCal anymore, but I know plenty of students and teachers here though, so...

Plus, I might be taking a class in the fall anyway, so...

I didn't even think about that, Anders.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    There's not going to be a new 15 until the 7457 comes along.

But it should be worth the wait. 1.4 Ghz, 512k cache. . .should be able to shit on a Centrino to say the least.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Hmm

?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I don´t think they would like Apple to know that that offer is on a very public message board.

I count on you remembering the link?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

I dont think they would like Apple to know that that offer is on a very public message board.

I count on you remembering the link?

Remember, kids: Private messages are your friends!

• Reply 11 of 17
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    booooooooooooo!

comeon anders, play ball
  • Reply 12 of 17
    That's okay because a) I'm not buying today (or anytime soon..."soon" meaning in the next month or two), and b) I'm certainly not buying that particular model.

Even if I had all the money together right now, we all know that Apple will announce this thing (WWDC perhaps? I don't know...), but will do their usual "announcing today, available in October..." routine.

I've got PLENTY of time...

• Reply 13 of 17
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Even if I had all the money together right now, we all know that Apple will announce this thing (WWDC perhaps? I don't know...)

Now you've gotten me REAL curious!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    well, currently you can enable monitor spanning on iMac (GeForce4 version) and any Radeon iBook

so dual display support is possible

as for perceptible performance change -vs.- unknown config Al15...

the PB may ship with a slower HD than your iMac

and power saving while on battery may step down performance
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Would a 4200RPM hard drive in a PowerBook (compared to the 5400 or 7200 of my iMac...not really sure which one mine is) trump the other things mentioned above (200-400MHz speed increase, the faster bus, the cache, etc.)?

I don't know, I'm asking.

Not that its critical (or that I would probably ever even realize). Just curious. I'm "going mobile" by the end of August or September - at the latest - regardless.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Would a 4200RPM hard drive in a PowerBook (compared to the 5400 or 7200 of my iMac...not really sure which one mine is) trump the other things mentioned above (200-400MHz speed increase, the faster bus, the cache, etc.)?

Get as much RAM as you can. Like a gig. With a gig of RAM, my computer pretty much never has to hit up virtual memory.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    a laptop drive won't capture DV stream as smoothly as a higher RPM drive, assuming all other factors equal

slower drives are more likely to drop the occasional frame

if you're not using it primarily for video capture, doubt you'd notice.

especially if you max the RAM