30GB Ipod...a bit of a disappointment

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well, I finally got my 30 GB Ipod and I am really bummed. The Music Match software is clumsy at best, and worse, the audio connector has a short in it. I mean for $500, you'd think the "great engineers" at Apple could pull off a much more robust design. The analogies are endless, but why skimp at such a critical link - are you telling me that the margins aren't there??? please.

The Ipod itself is beautiful and the controls are awesome. I guess I was not prepared for the cheesy connector and the terrible bundled software!! (I know that iTunes is much better software, but hey, I am a PC user).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    the generalthe general Posts: 649member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Beakee

Well, I finally got my 30 GB Ipod and I am really bummed. The Music Match software is clumsy at best, and worse, the audio connector has a short in it. I mean for $500, you'd think the "great engineers" at Apple could pull off a much more robust design. The analogies are endless, but why skimp at such a critical link - are you telling me that the margins aren't there??? please.

The Ipod itself is beautiful and the controls are awesome. I guess I was not prepared for the cheesy connector and the terrible bundled software!! (I know that iTunes is much better software, but hey, I am a PC user).

BE GONE! EVIL PC USER! yee then should be used to shoddy equipment and lemons! the short should be praised as the unit still works! and doesnt blue screen of death when yee playith an mp3.

• Reply 2 of 11
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

BE GONE! EVIL PC USER! yee then should be used to shoddy equipment and lemons! the short should be praised as the unit still works! and doesnt blue screen of death when yee playith an mp3.

Hay Geney go esey on him.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I believe that your easiest fix to your problem would be to get a Mac or wait around for the iTunes for Windows (get a Mac). Oh yeah, and a new connector.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    beakeebeakee Posts: 64member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

OUCH!! I thought the Mac Universe was one of compassion and acceptance...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

OUCH!! I thought the Mac Universe was one of compassion and acceptance...

This must be your first time visiting these boards.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Im a windows user

but dont worry, im doing anything possible to get the cash to get a 12" PowerBook, and what "The General" said about the blue screen of death, i got one yesterday and i was only playing an MP3, lol, stupid windows.

You shouldn't say your disipointed in the 30 gig iPod, if your only didipointed in the 3rd party software that came with it, get a mac and it will be perfect
  • Reply 7 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I thought he was kidding, just being facetious. Have you called Apple about the connector? It should be under warranty. I would hold off on claiming anything beyond what you have at face value, i.e., a busted connector.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    beakeebeakee Posts: 64member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I thought he was kidding, just being facetious. Have you called Apple about the connector? It should be under warranty. I would hold off on claiming anything beyond what you have at face value, i.e., a busted connector.

You're probably right. I am aware that it is just a connector, it just seems cheaply made.

The real downer is that it appears that I have to reload 6GB of music onto my hard drive becasue the mp3 program that I was using can't send any artist, genre, or album info over to Music Match! When I try using "smart tags" to identify the tracks, it has failed to get a single one correct. Live and learn.[B]
  • Reply 9 of 11
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

[B]You're probably right. I am aware that it is just a connector, it just seems cheaply made.

The real downer is that it appears that I have to reload 6GB of music onto my hard drive becasue the mp3 program that I was using can't send any artist, genre, or album info over to Music Match! When I try using "smart tags" to identify the tracks, it has failed to get a single one correct. Live and learn.

Looks like you need a Mac...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The iPod works with both PCs and Macs. You shouldn't have to buy a Mac to get your iPod to work.

Definitely call Apple and make them fix/replace your iPod. You're covered under warranty.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Well, I'm delighted with mine (or rather my girlfriend's). I didn't think they could improve the original design, but they have. It has a lot more of a 'refined' feel to it. Coming from the original 5GB model, I really like the touch sensitive controls, the dimensions and of course the capacity!

With a 30GB capacity, we've also been able to use the auto-update feature for the first time - which is really cool! Ideal for my girlfriend who doesn't really show any interest in iTunes. She just docks it to charge it, and all the new tracks are there as if by magic!

AAC at 128kbps sounds good, and certainly saves space over MP3 at 192kbps (VBR). I reckon I'll be able to get almost a months worth of music onto that baby!