Next iDevice appearance alongside xBook rev ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Given that Apple has confirmed its working on other iDevices, we will most likely see it within the next 30 days. Otherwise, Apple will miss Holiday sales.

The iPod offers good guidance on a possible release date for the second iDevice this year:

_______

Announcement: End of October 2001:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/oct/23ipod.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/oct/23ipod.html</a>;

iPod on Sale: Nov, 10, 2001

________

There were several hints Apple will do either a portable

- portable device, most likely a cellphone-PDA combo (please read the old threads based on the NY Times article before flaming that this isn't probable). Or maybe a 'ProPod' with color screen as extension to the iPod line.

- RendezVous device for the living room (iServe). Or Philips will market such a device next year on their own...

Both options discussed in older threads.

The economy is down but I still think a second device will come and most likely within the next 30 days.

So will we see something more exciting alongside the Powerbook / iBook revision ?

What will iDevice Number2 be in your opinion ?

[ 10-09-2002: Message edited by: jabba ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Camera

--------

hey I got my 50, I'm a member now!

[ 10-10-2002: Message edited by: robster ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    iCam for iPod

firewire video cam with direct-to-disk recording in mpg4 standard

definitely NO iPhone! T68i IS an apple phone.. ;-))
  • Reply 3 of 9
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by k_munic:

<strong>definitely NO iPhone! T68i IS an apple phone.. ;-)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Definitely?!?! After reading these comments from Steve it sure doesn't sound that way...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jobs also spoke with journalists after his speech. Here are some excerpts:

=======================

Q: Have you had second thoughts about your view of the personal computer as the "digital hub" of the home?

Steve: "Our vision on this is absolutely right. You can't use a digital music player without a computer. You can't use a digital camera without a computer. In three or four years, you won't even think about using a cell phone without a computer. We think this is the next great age of personal computing."

=======================

Q: Will there be an iPhone?

Steve: "One never knows. We don't usually discuss products we haven't announced."

=======================

..snip..

=======================

Q: What do you think of the tablet PC?

Steve: "We're not sure the tablet PC will be successful. It's turned into a notebook that you can write on. Do you want to handwrite all your e-mail? We have all the technology ourselves to do that - we just don't know whether it will be successful."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just compare how he answered two similar questions about future Apple hardware.

iPhone - 'One never knows. We don't usually discuss products we haven't announced.'

iTablet - 'We're not sure the tablet PC will be successful.'

Now add to that this comment:

'In three or four years, you won't even think about using a cell phone without a computer. We think this is the next great age of personal computing.'

And if after reading that you don't think Apple/Steve is excited about the cell market wants to be a player then well I guess they only way you'd be convinced is when you see it on the Apple home page.

Dave

[ 10-10-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jabbajabba Posts: 82member
    Hello,

Yes, I forgot about the camera thing, could be a part of the ProPod / iPod2. However, I don't think this is probable, too many good solutions and too much competition.

Really wondering if we see something in the next 20 days. If we don't see an iDevice by the end of October, we will probably have to wait for quite some time.

PS: DaveGee: Completely agree with you on the phone rumors and Steve's comments. It won't be another T68i...something new with GPS, java applications (Pixo) etc.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:

<strong>There are a lot of decafinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

this is my favorite sig ever. hollyfeld?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    @DaveGee:

as a student, early 80ies in Berlin, I was invited to a show, where Sony intruduced the first "walkaround music device" = WalkMan.

nobody expected to use this players (mc/cd) in public, wearing funny, orange earpieces... now, you can´t escaped from "tss tss tss"everywhere.

BUT:

Does this mean, we can buy an Apple branded CD Player? (yes, a friend of mine has one...- but it was a cd rom device..)

---------------

using a cell phone without a computer doesn´t make sense, Steve is right - for 5 weeks I`m a proud owner of a T68i, BT an iSync...-

BUT:

Does this mean, we can buy an Apple branded cell phone??

-----------

10 years ago, it wasn´t standard to use a typewritter at home - now, every household has a wordprocessor and a printer.

BUT: Does this mean, you can buy Apple branded printers? (yes, a friend of mine had one.....)

--------------

same story with fax, dvd players. minidisc, gps in cars and so and so on........

---------

as an CEO of a hardware/software company i would be interested in any kind of new electronic device/gadget you name it.

BUT:

does it make sense, to be the 4563. one in a crowed market?

iPod is computer technology with an entertaining flavor, it´s a spin off, like the teflon fry pan (yes, i do know, teflon was invented long time BEFORE rockets flew to the moon ;-)...).

iPod is an add-on to your digital hub, iCam could be another add-on.-

-------------

we will see interesting technologys in relation to rendevouz; biggest problem nowadays is connection - how do i connect my camera, my audio, my video, my computer to each other?

firewire, bluetooth, airport - and?

-----------

my Cube is in one room; my stereo and my tv in another. what i do need is a connection, a remote control, a virtual digital hub....-

someday........................................
  • Reply 7 of 9
    @DaveGee:

as a student, early 80ies in Berlin, I was invited to a show, where Sony intruduced the first "walkaround music device" = WalkMan.

nobody expected to use this players (mc/cd) in public, wearing funny, orange earpieces... now, you can´t escaped from "tss tss tss"everywhere.

BUT:

Does this mean, we can buy an Apple branded CD Player? (yes, a friend of mine has one...- but it was a cd rom device..)

---------------

using a cell phone without a computer doesn´t make sense, Steve is right - for 5 weeks I`m a proud owner of a T68i, BT an iSync...-

BUT:

Does this mean, we can buy an Apple branded cell phone??

-----------

10 years ago, it wasn´t standard to use a typewritter at home - now, every household has a wordprocessor and a printer.

BUT: Does this mean, you can buy Apple branded printers? (yes, a friend of mine had one.....)

--------------

same story with fax, dvd players. minidisc, gps in cars and so and so on........

---------

as an CEO of a hardware/software company i would be interested in any kind of new electronic device/gadget you name it.

BUT:

does it make sense, to be the 4563. one in a crowed market?

iPod is computer technology with an entertaining flavor, it´s a spin off, like the teflon fry pan (yes, i do know, teflon was invented long time BEFORE rockets flew to the moon ;-)...).

iPod is an add-on to your digital hub, iCam could be another add-on.-

-------------

we will see interesting technologys in relation to rendevouz; biggest problem nowadays is connection - how do i connect my camera, my audio, my video, my computer to each other?

firewire, bluetooth, airport - and?

-----------

my Cube is in one room; my stereo and my tv in another. what i do need is a connection, a remote control, a virtual digital hub....-

someday........................................
  • Reply 8 of 9
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by admactanium:

<strong>

this is my favorite sig ever. hollyfeld?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The sig was a toss up...

Here was 2nd place...

"I'm sorry... Have you ever seen a body like this before in you LIFE? (She's my daughter) Oh well I guess you have."

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 9
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:

<strong>=======================

Q: Will there be an iPhone?

Steve: "One never knows. We don't usually discuss products we haven't announced."

=======================

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Merge that statement with his statement that Apple decided a while back that Phone functions and PDA functions will merge (as they are now). Can't wait!