Hotline age old question... (you gotta be old for this one)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It would seem almost every server on Hotline mentions him...

Who is Sawde Spyder (sp?) and why does everyone want to make sure they have no afflilation with him? (maybe this is General Discussion?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hahahhahahahah

that would be a bot that indexed hotline servers.... (i think)

people add it because the bot had a check to see if that string was in the agreement, if it was it would continue on and not enter that server...

of course all of this knowledge comes from a monthlong expidition with hotline in my sophomore year when I first got broadband... so it may not be correct...
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Yep is a bot that does exactly as Paul said. I remember using hotline before the SAWD spyder was even around.. Man I do feel old I`m only 18
  • Reply 3 of 25
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i'm 16 and i remember it

haha i heard somone say it funnily saying Hotline was the AOL of warez
  • Reply 4 of 25
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    it was sadwyw spider, and it's the reason why every server had a folder with an alias of itself in it as the first and last folder... so that the sadwyw spider would get caught in an endless loop.

Ah... the olden days...
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Man... you guys rock. Glad to know you know these things.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xidius

Oh my. I am going to quote that entire comment (side a few typographical/grammatical modifications. ), seeing as it applies to me exactly. @_@

Wow, I remember using hotline before the SADWYW spider was even around.. Man I do feel old.. And I`m only 18!

[Anyone remember me from t3h servers? I was '-=Xidius=-'.]

- Xidius

i think i might, but i could just be imagining it...i definatly remember the xidius but that could have been somon else
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

There was only one Xidius. Must have been me.

I had one of three icons:

The metal marble

"@#!@"

or "UNIX"

- Xidius

haha well my memory isn't THAT good to remember your icon

i was 'ast3r3x' or 'swiggi14' and had the computer chip icon

though i was normally on the informational servers or unlisted servers

haha, i was always amazed as how many people would run really good servers that weren't listed, and i had a private account to them, it was a beautiful thing
  • Reply 8 of 25
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I heard it was some sort of secret FBI thing. No I did read that somewhere though, and everything you read on the Internet is true...so watch out!
  • Reply 9 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I think your definition of old doesn't fit my own definition.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I used Hotline... before it was l4m3. I didn't pay much attention to it other than the servers I frequented, hence I didn't notice Sawde Sawyer. Or maybe I stopped using it before that bot.

Barto
  • Reply 11 of 25
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    i was a avid hotline user while it lasted.

Actually, probably my biggest moment with peer to peer was getting Jaguar first.

My god..... my server had like 9000 hits in an hour.

crashed so many times. bastards
  • Reply 12 of 25
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Oh my. I am going to quote that entire comment (side a few typographical/grammatical modifications. ), seeing as it applies to me exactly. @_@

Wow, I remember using hotline before the SADWYW spider was even around.. Man I do feel old.. And I`m only 18!

[Anyone remember me from t3h servers? I was '-=Xidius=-'.]

- Xidius

I do.

I floated around the Imperial Garden mostly, but also badmoon and toured the public servers.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Whoa. I think I pirated warez off of Xidius's mac! Small world!
  • Reply 14 of 25
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Warez someone else "backed up" no doubt...

I always got a kick out of the Agreements that said "If you are not a law enforcement agent or related to law enforcement in any way..." Yea I'm sure Mr. FBI is going to be scared of that legally binding agreement. And remember, this server is for BACKUP PURPOSES ONLY. heeee it took me so long to get coveted Mathematica working and now I'm not even in Calculus anymore. I can't even remember how to do calculus.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    For the REALLY old school: Who remembers Dizz Knee Lan? For extra credit, what was the name before it was Dizz Knee Lan?

And how about the sites like T1-Dragon, Achilles, and of course the wonders of the MP3 Circle + MP3 Ring?

Ahhhhh.....those were the days.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thefamousmred

For the REALLY old school: Who remembers Dizz Knee Lan? For extra credit, what was the name before it was Dizz Knee Lan?

And how about the sites like T1-Dragon, Achilles, and of course the wonders of the MP3 Circle + MP3 Ring?

Ahhhhh.....those were the days.

How about the Tolkien Ring?? Damn I feel old...

A@ron
  • Reply 17 of 25
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    TR°
  • Reply 18 of 25
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

TR°

Yup, and to this day I am still known as °Aaron (even on carracho) god and to think I was one of the first ones...

A@ron
  • Reply 19 of 25
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Warez someone else "backed up" no doubt...

I always got a kick out of the Agreements that said "If you are not a law enforcement agent or related to law enforcement in any way..." Yea I'm sure Mr. FBI is going to be scared of that legally binding agreement. And remember, this server is for BACKUP PURPOSES ONLY. heeee it took me so long to get coveted Mathematica working and now I'm not even in Calculus anymore. I can't even remember how to do calculus.

I think that there is a loophole in the law that states that law enforcers have to identify themselves when asked directly . . . therefor it wouldn't hold up in court if they did not . . . .
  • Reply 20 of 25
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I think that there is a loophole in the law that states that law enforcers have to identify themselves when asked directly . . . therefor it wouldn't hold up in court if they did not . . . .

If that were the case, drug busts would never hold up in court when the dealer asks, "What, are you a cop?"