Madonna on iTunes Music Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was at an Apple store this weekend. I noticed in their displays about iTunes music store they have a bunch of CD covers hanging. Two of them are Madonna CD's Music and Ray of Light.

Do you think this signals that they are in negotiations and close to getting Madonna's music?

I think the lack of Madonna, the Beatles, and Rolling stones are a major weakness.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    Don't know, just guessing, but what if they purposely held back a few major artists for a few weeks after release? That way they could say, "Look, in the first month we added Madonna, The Doors, and the Rolling Stones!"
  • Reply 2 of 15
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adpowers

Don't know, just guessing, but what if they purposely held back a few major artists for a few weeks after release? That way they could say, "Look, in the first month we added Madonna, The Doors, and the Rolling Stones!"

now you're thinking like marketing folk!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Madonna and The Beatles aren't in the Music Store yet? I haven't used it really, so I haven't noticed what is/isn't in there. I heard a few people say that it was slim pickin's, but I thought they would have had the major ones covered.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Madonna, The Beatles, The Doors, The Rolling Stones.

Which one does not belong?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I know, I know!!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Madonna, The Beatles, The Doors, The Rolling Stones.

Which one does not belong?

Madonna?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    It seems Apple has something up their sleeve wrt Madonna.

Back when the custom artist-engraved iPods came out, Madonna was one of them. I think this signals Apple and Madonna have been in some sort of discussions.

This was also when detailed information about the iTMS first surfaced in an anonymous posting on Slashdot. In any case, I don't think she's missing out of sheer oversight.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    the music store already has artists on Madonna's record label (Maverick) like Michelle Branch, so I'm sure they're planning on doing something with Madonna.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    They don't have the Stones?! ò_ó
  • Reply 10 of 15
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Still no Linkin Park.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Still no Linkin Park.

Shucks \ . I mean, that's... ummm... horrible.

(I will not criticize musical tastes... I will not criticize musical tastes... I will not criticize musical tastes... I will not criticize musical tastes... )
  • Reply 12 of 15
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Hey, I'm only 13. Besides my favorite band is up their anyways.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    So far the music store isn't really blowing my skirt up. Most of the music I like/buy is pretty solid for a whole album, and a tad older, so I used to be able to scrounge it at the local music used music stores around college st, spadina and young areas. I don't boot around the city nearly as much now, so I've been doing less of that. It seems to me, someone like Madonna could really benefit from the Singles based format of ITMS. She's a hit parade onto herself, whatever you may think of her, she's moved a LOT of product over the past 15-20 years, and made a lot of money sticking probably so-so albums onto 2-3 catchy/trendy tunes. With her career winding down, it's less likely that she'll sell more of those old albums on the strength of a single, and certainly not on those old singles, but at a dollar a pop a few people would spring for previously un-owned Madonna hits. For her, a chance to resell the back catalogue. For us, a chance to get those singles without wading through a whole album.

However, for future singles driven pop acts, this does have the potential to squash a bit of their album sales potential.

It's a mebbe, mebbe-not type of thing. The next big boy band won't get my album dollars, or my singles dollars for that matter. Will the infatuated teeny bopper set buy only the "hits" or do they just gotta have every pre-pubscent 4 part harmony because their true fans?

I'm not too sure how this will affect the production values that go into some albums.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mqamqa Posts: 11member
    The reason the Beatles aren't on the iTunes Music Store is probably because all the rights to their music are owned by Micheal Jackson. Make of that what you will...
  • Reply 15 of 15
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mqa

The reason the Beatles aren't on the iTunes Music Store is probably because all the rights to their music are owned by Micheal Jackson. Make of that what you will...

actually, someone corrected me on this before... he owns the publishing rights, not the distribution rights, i believe. publishing rights are for the use of the music in commercials, movies, etc. the ITMS deals wth distribution rights, which i believe are still under McCartney's control.

besides, there's plenty of MJ stuff up on the store... (mostly partial albums...)