broken ipod/ compusa warranty

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
"IF" (accidently =) ) my old 10GB ipod breaks, and i have the extended compusa warranty, will they replace it with the new 10GB or 15GB? If so, is there a way to make an ipod stop working without physically damaging it, like hard drive malfunction or something?

Thanks

Logan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

"IF" (accidently =) ) my old 10GB ipod breaks, and i have the extended compusa warranty, will they replace it with the new 10GB or 15GB? If so, is there a way to make an ipod stop working without physically damaging it, like hard drive malfunction or something?

Thanks

Logan

Poor form.

Anyway, if your iPod needs to be replaced they will (likely) replace it with one of equivalent value to yours when you purchased it. Make sure you have your receipt so they know how much they should give you. Also make sure that the store you go to is actually out of old stock otherwise you'll for sure get an old one.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I cannot approve of this behavior and am this close -><- to just locking this thread.

Tsk.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    ?? I am asking a question please dont freak out, just answer me if you dont know the answer, dont post.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    It depends on the manger. Just today I exchanged my 20GB iPod for a 30GB at no extra charge at CompUSA with the extended warranty. I called beforehand and made sure they had no 20's in stock and got the name of the manager who promised me the 30. My battery was holdinga 3 hour charge and that was enough to get a replacement. Pretty sweet! But definitley call and get the manager's name if they offer you the 15GB, but they probably won't. Good luck.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    FWIW, a friend's friend did manage to get a new iPod from Best Buy using the scam described (he didn't even have to 'break' his iPod).
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

FWIW, a friend's friend did manage to get a new iPod from Best Buy using the scam described (he didn't even have to 'break' his iPod).

Can you tell me more about this? Anyone?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Err, that's all I know...
  • Reply 8 of 22
    If you want to break your iPod, why don't you just go outside and throw it onto the pavement a couple times? Surely that'll jostle something out of place.

And please don't tell me where I can or can't post. Thank you.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

If you want to break your iPod, why don't you just go outside and throw it onto the pavement a couple times? Surely that'll jostle something out of place.

And please don't tell me where I can or can't post. Thank you.

A bit agressive today are we

I think I´ll ask one of the mods to give a couple of days in the penalty box if you don´t cool down.

For the question: Have you considered a huge magnet? I bet that would toast the HD
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Good idea Anders, now, i need a magnet, dont have one lying around...
  • Reply 11 of 22
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Good idea Anders, now, i need a magnet, dont have one lying around...

Serously, do you care at all how unethical and wrong what you want to do is?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I dont care.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    *sigh*
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Why should you care?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Why should you care?

Insurance fraud increases rates for everyone. This isn't exactly the same thing, but don't be so brazen about it.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Well I found a loop hole haha
  • Reply 17 of 22
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Well don't expect our support, assmunch--figure it out on your own next time you go around wrecking perfectly good tech.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    I asked the guy at the store if I could just turn it in without wrecking it and he said no, you have to wreck it he was honest. Maybe they should change their system if they dont want things broken.

As for you mister, it seems i have struck a nerve, resorting to elementary naems? Assmunch? Im sure you can do better.

Anyway, anyone who has real SUPPORT like Anders, keep posting

Thanks

Logan
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

It depends on the manger. Just today I exchanged my 20GB iPod for a 30GB at no extra charge at CompUSA with the extended warranty. I called beforehand and made sure they had no 20's in stock and got the name of the manager who promised me the 30. My battery was holdinga 3 hour charge and that was enough to get a replacement. Pretty sweet! But definitley call and get the manager's name if they offer you the 15GB, but they probably won't. Good luck.

'

Did you just say "Hey my ipod only holds a three hour charge, showed them warranty/receipt and exchanged it?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

'

Did you just say "Hey my ipod only holds a three hour charge, showed them warranty/receipt and exchanged it?

Yeah. But it actually DID only hold a three hour charge, and since I am driving to Toronto this weekend, that wouldn't do me a whole lot of good now would it. I called to talk to a manager and asked if they had any of the 20's in stock, once he said no, I explained my situation and asked what their replacement policy was considering the 20's are discontinued. Depending on your luck you will get one of three responses:

1) The manager will say the store will give you credit for the current price of your iPod, which is a measly $350. To which you reply "but I purchased a REPLACEMENT plan, not an 'in-store credit" plan"

2) The manager will say the store can order a 20GB directly from Apple to replace your 'malfunctioning' (as you put it) one to which you can't fight back on thatm so don't try.

3) The manager will be kind enough to allow you to exchange your 20GB for a 30GB iPod (as in my case). Now for me, they didn't check the iPod or see if there was anything wrong with it. Mine had been locking up frequently and of course didn't hold a full charge.

If you feel that you absolutely need a 30GB and your 20GB is not working up to par, then yes, with a little luck you can exchange it. I WOULD recommend calling first and getting the name of the manager you spoke to and hauling you ass to that CompUSA while he or she is still working. I DO NOT condone purposely breaking your iPod in order to get a replacement. Good Luck