Hollywood Vs White Trailer Trash

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is it my impression as an ultimate Southerner..in the great Southern land, that Hollywood & TV like nothing better than portraying southerners who live in trailer homes as bigotted white trailer trash.

Why is it, that News crews almost fall overthemselves to report yet another twister chewing up another trailer park...they seem to almost see this as the hand of God, smitting the White trailer trash that abides in it.

Wasn't living in a trailer the ultimate --on the road -- the ultimate expression of American freedom?

When did the sons of the confederacy become the modern day trailer trash / laughing stock of the hollywood moguls ?

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    after WWII

• Reply 2 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *AHEM*

Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Is it my impression as an ultimate Southerner..in the great Southern land, that Hollywood & TV like nothing better than portraying southerners who live in trailer homes as bigotted white trailer trash.

Why is it, that News crews almost fall overthemselves to report yet another twister chewing up another trailer park...they seem to almost see this as the hand of God, smitting the White trailer trash that abides in it.

Wasn't living in a trailer the ultimate --on the road -- the ultimate expression of American freedom?

Not when it's on blocks.

Quote:

When did the sons of the confederacy become the modern day trailer trash / laughing stock of the hollywood moguls ?

\

Ain't got nuthin' to do with the South, just trailers.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    You should see Andy Kaufman's film I'm From Hollywood it makes that pathetic Jim Carrey film seem like Wonder Bread for Pink Boys . . . and he spares nothing for the South . . . . on and on he badmouths it in the worst possible insulting way .

sure he ends up getting his neck broke by the Southern wrestler that he had been taunting through the media and via southern jokes but its the vitriol that stays in the mind the longest . . . of course he has the excuse that its all part of the act . . . and in a bizare way it is . . . but an act that only very 'edgy' people can appreciate . .

anyway its also a good movie
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

It was pan-de-lerium! I thought we'd be kelled, or even worse!! I looked out the window in time to see the Jenkins house go right over our roof. All I could think was, 'Carolyn still has my casserole dish!'

• Reply 5 of 23
    "she is so corpulent, when she lounges around the opulently appointed tuscan villa, she lounges around the opulently appointed tuscan villa"

someone catch that reference, please
  • Reply 6 of 23
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

"she is so corpulent, when she lounges around the opulently appointed tuscan villa, she lounges around the opulently appointed tuscan villa"

someone catch that reference, please

Lost me buddy,

Have trouble with all that speechifying.....Yaw'll
  • Reply 7 of 23
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

History of the World? Sounds like a stand-up philosopher to me.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by tonton

[B]Do you really think Southern Whites are portrayed any worse than Southern Blacks?

Yes..No question..everything from

Deliverance,Paris Texas,My own Private Idaho, Mississippi Burning...Natural born Killers..and on and on and on....

There's money in Kick'n Trailer Trash..& no anti discrimination / lobby groups to hit you with a Supreme court injunction...
  • Reply 9 of 23
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Oh, and while we're on the subject, I just saw an episode of Frasier where Woody (from the South) comes to visit, and says he is going to his cousin's wedding in Seattle. Niles asks if his cousin is the bride or the groom. Woody replies "both, actually". Niles: "Kissing cousins?" Woody: "Well, they were doing more than that. That's why they had to get married."

Isn't Woody from Wisconsin though? (maybe Iowa?) And are those states really part of the South (excuse my ignorance a bit), or just uncharted backwater.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Isn't Woody from Wisconsin though? (maybe Iowa?) And are those states really part of the South (excuse my ignorance a bit), or just uncharted backwater.

I hear that some of those good o'l boys from down South are fixin to move that there Mason - Dixon Line..

If Bush gets re-elected, then every state south of New York will be voted into the greater Southern confedracy of Dixie Chicks...

In the meantime...New York.. the last mainland state to have a Democrat in office ( Sen: Hilarious Clit-on ) will secede to join the Micheal Moore in a last stand for the Republic

It will be a love fest..with flowers, and cigars..no inhaling though...
  • Reply 11 of 23
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

...It will be a love fest..with flowers, and cigars..no inhaling though...

i think we all know that Clinton cigars ain't for inhalin'.

oh, and i think Woody (Boid? Boiwd? Boyid?) was from Indiana. I think of him as more mid-western than southern. But i never wud too gewd wiff geo-graphy.

The reason trailer trash get made fun of, is because they are trashy. I'm sure there are plenty of good, decent people who live in trailers (Nicholson's character in `About Schmidt` comes to mind, though his trailer'ing wasn't a permanent thing, just a phase), but some are just plain trashy. You got to realize when they make fun of them, they are making fun of the stereotype, not the people. Plus, its hard to act respectibly to someone with such a backass southern drawl. Damned yokels.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i think we all know that Clinton cigars ain't for inhalin'.

Plus, its hard to act respectibly to someone with such a backass southern drawl. Damned yokels.

Yawl cumon-down an ta our parts n wee'el fix yawl a mighty fine ree-cepshun.

We got our selvs some boys just itchin to hav anover round o ceevil war ree n acktments....
  • Reply 13 of 23
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Okay, what do you want to know about the South?

I'm a whiteboy and I live in a swamp...well next to a swamp.

The only thing that I object to, and it's not even a Southern thing, is these carpetbagging, live-anywhere newscasters that show up and start calling all of the roads and neighborhoods by the wrong names. Now, I know this likely happens in your cities too, but as a native I can't help to be offended (and simultaneously amused). Cultural sensitivity is something that I think we need to bring to bear on the television and radio media outlets...train their new staff on the correct local pronunciations.

And yes, trailer parks are trailer parks regardless of location. The nicest one I ever saw was in Simi Valley. There are two trailer parks within two miles of my home. I'm hoping that they're sufficient tornado bait to divert any twisters in this area away from my own home.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    i too from the south think that there is some truth in stereotypes. most of the US' best authors came from the south and/or discussed mostly southern topic, except recently. The backlash began when the population shifted from rural america (and the south is mostly rural, dont believe any thing to the contrary), to the cities. this includes the african american migration north after the reconcilliation of the early 1900s and the concomidant reduction in the "farmer" population of whites in the midwest/agri areas of the south etc. While there is nothing wrong with living in a trailer, that social group is a distinct and somewhat stereotypical entity. Take for instance an article I read in Philly's Metro today: A father (27!)has been convicted of neglect for using a taser on his 8 year old, and also for allowing his 3 and 2 year olds to wander around (not his neighborhood, not his street) but his trailer park. I actually noted that there was no need to put in trailer park at the end of that statement. I think it is also easier to mock an economically disadvantaged group when it really wont affect your pocket book. That said you dont really see many movies taking a critical look at stereotypical movie goers.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    The South is wonderful. Why do you think I left that hell-hole of SoCal - after 10 years - to return?

I'm MUCH happier, I must say.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Maybe if the rest of white trash America quit liking the drama of seeing folks like themselves sucked up in twisters we will quit seeing it to.

(this is kind of the proverbial the news will go away when the newsworthy vanishes)
  • Reply 17 of 23
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    I, too, grew up in the South although I haven't lived there for almost 10 years.

Although all stereotypes can be proven incorrect I think the grain of truth in "trailer trash" comes from the fact that it is so darn cheap to live in the south, you have to be some kind of screw up to live in a trailer. Ya know what I mean? My parents live in Bohunkville Texas (that's not the actual name, but that is might as well be) and my Dad keeps telling me about these $20,000 to $30,000 dollar houses we could buy if we only moved there. "Supply and Demand, Dad" I say. So what kind of people are resorting to the trailer parks, ya know?!
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

: A father (27!)has been convicted of neglect for using a taser on his 8 year old, and also for allowing his 3 and 2 year olds to wander around (not his neighborhood, not his street) but his trailer park. I actually noted that there was no need to put in trailer park at the end of that statement.

This made international News coverage...We read all about it in Oz....So you see what I mean about alll those friggin Journos....

We get the same shit deal in Pommy land..where they virtually declare a national holiday every time an Aussie gets bashed or mugged.....

& they called us euro-trash...Mind you most of em wouldn't last 5 minutes out here...
  • Reply 19 of 23
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Well now we here in the 13th Colony Georgia look toward our founding city of Savannah, home to criminals....just like down in Oy! Oy! Oy! land. I got a ripping email from a (now former) friend popping off on Atlanta now that she's getting fat(ter) and more important (in her own mind) out in SoCal. I was dumbfounded at her attitude, so I told her to go fvck herself. See what those Yankees have turned me into!!?

Southerners just don't talk like that.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Well now we here in the 13th Colony Georgia look toward our founding city of Savannah, home to criminals....just like down in Oy! Oy! Oy! land. I got a ripping email from a (now former) friend popping off on Atlanta now that she's getting fat(ter) and more important (in her own mind) out in SoCal. I was dumbfounded at her attitude, so I told her to go fvck herself. See what those Yankees have turned me into!!?

Aussie Aussie aussie Oye Oye Oye....

Same down here

All that damm Yankee food has got our fine petite southern ladies looking like overgrown fat bovines..

Ronald McDonald....Cokes n Fries...Burgers to go...

Speeking of which..

How come they calls it "Fast Food" when in reality it makes you fat & slow....

Actually..I wonder if " Fast food " shouldn't be classified as a form of torture by the UN..

I reckon the French would get a kick out of that....!