Amazing Race 4!!!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey all you Amazing Race fans, the latest race starts up on May 29th on CBS (of course). The first episode is a 90 minute special and I can't WAIT for this thing to begin. I've contacted some of my friends and hope to get them to post comments on my own messageboard.

Meanwhile, skip on over to the official website and start checking out the the team's for this edition of the race!

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race4/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Cool.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    oh man i was just about to post wondering if anyone watched crap reality TV

watch out for my post soon
  • Reply 3 of 34
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    from the website...

dating 12 years/virgins

ha!
  • Reply 4 of 34
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yeah, and the two married guys.

Married to EACH OTHER!

(not that there's anything wrong with that)
  • Reply 5 of 34
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    somebody here at AI *scratches head*... Eugene? can't recall

around the end of the last AR3 said they had inside info (friend on staff or contestant)

who was it... still connected?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    This show is getting stale...
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Yeah, Eugene said he knew something or somebody.....wonder what the deal is/was?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    LEG 1 : Los Angeles to Cortina

Okay, the first episode was on May 29th and I thought it got off to a great start. _Very exciting start because the teams had to make one of three different flights from Los Angeles to Italy....and the first thing they had to do once they found the next clue was to search for bus tickets which were hidden all around in a public square. _There were three different times that these bus trips left for their destination, so even though some teams arrived early...they picked tickets that were late departures.

I don't know if the producers plan to continue to toss in things like that to shake up the field more, but it was interesting.

The teams:

Amanda & Chris

Big whiney baby. _That's my first-episode impression of Amanda. _Kind of like the girl from the couple who won AR3. If she's this foul-mouthed and abusive all the way through the race then she'll be one of those people you love to cheer against. _Let's see if they can stay in there.

David & Jeff

Two motivated professional white guys who are good friends but aren't gay. _This combination never wins the race, and usually don't provide any catty comments. _Probably perceived as a real threat by many, but can competence alone win a race that's so far proven to rely on a little sprinkling of luck?

Debra & Steve

Guys, we hardly knew ye. _From the beginning I had these two pegged as short-timers. _They're too old and not in the best of shape. _No doubt they had some great skills that went unseen, but the high-energy start to the race was just too much for them. Ta-ta, LOSERS!!!

Jon & Al

I had only glanced over the list of contenders before the race began, and was surprised to find out that these guys are professional clowns. _I'd look for some fun hijincks out of these two if they last long enough. _I'm putting them on my potential favorites list for now.

Kelly & Jon

These two were meant for reality television, but maybe not Amazing Race. _Kelly has issues about wanting to get married to Jon (how many Jon's are there in this race?) but he wants nothing to do with marriage. _This little bit of relationship hell can only provide some sparks as the tires wear thin over the course of the race. _Maybe she'll decide that marriage to this guy isn't really what she wants after all...

Millie & Chuck

Okay, first things first: so they're been dating for 12 years and are virgins....the important thing in this relationship is that Chuck is afraid to get married to Millie and she's going to drop him like a load of old laundry if he doesn't pop the question in the next year or so. _Forget the last two team-mates, these two may be the ones to watch for a real show.

Monica & Sheree

Hey, these two are married to Atlanta Falcons players! _At the very first airport these two were done out of some good tickets by a kid who looks like the biggest dumbass to play the game yet. _They won't forget that slight, and if they last long enough I'm sure they'll pay that "favor" if the opportunity presents itself.

Reichen & Chip

Okay, I grew up in a time when if you said that two guys were "married", you could giggle. _Maybe not today, out in polite company...but deep in my laughing place, the phrase makes me laugh with gusto. _As far as the game goes, relationship titles make little difference. Let's see if they're as cut-throat as "Bert & Ernie" were in AR2, I'm guessing they're not. _EVERYBODY hated those guys, but they were great at the game.

Russel & Cindy

Not too strategic so far, they arrived at the airport first and had their pick of flights to Europe...but managed to get on the slower flight. _THEN, they did it AGAIN by selecting a ticket to a later bus departure. _These two need to pay attention or they'll be gone within the next three rounds.

Steve & Dave

Air Traffic Controllers? _I say "casualties waiting to happen". _They're too old, too out of shape and too polite to win this race. _One of them hurt his knee up in the snow in this first leg, I'll bet he doesn't make it through the fourth round.

Steve & Josh

This is another one of those "father and son will bond while on the road" kind of teams. _Steve is a retired juvenile detention facility supervisor, his son is a freak in human skin. _The kid has issues, and he's got the potential to be a nasty little viper, as he proved early on in the race when trying to set up an alliance and cut Monica & Sheree out of the deal.

Tian and Jaree

Blonde hair and perky boobs can take you far in the world, as these two hope to prove. _But the model's life is full of booze and cigarettes, and as we saw on the slopes, these things can seriously impair your fitness level. _Can't say that I'll cheer for these two because they remind me of some of the other hot-girl groups that tried to cheat in previous versions.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    The only thing 'amazing' about the amazing race is that people watch it.

TV and reality shows are responsible for the dumbing down of society. How people can watch that fat whore Anna Nicole is beyond comprehension.

It is time for people to take a stand and demand better programming:

More Futurama

More Family Guy

More A Team!!! (OK just kidding, Battlestar Gallactica instead!)
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Count me as one of the DUMBERER people if it makes you feel better, but Amazing Race is different from most reality television programs. It's just people running from one city to the next is one of the least offensive reality shows. It's fun to watch because it's tightened up with exciting editing...note the Bruckheimer ex-prod credit.

The contestants are in a RACE, they're not contained to totally manufactured situations on a backlot somewhere jumping into a vat of cow blood or eating the face off a pigskull. You get to see some magnificent scenery from other countries and it makes you want to join the race. The teams are diverse and don't have a moderator telling them what to do all the time.

Futurama is dead, FOX killed it. They still have some episodes in the can though, they just showed a new one last night. I'll let you know if it's coming back.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    masterzeusmasterzeus Posts: 111member
    I agree. This is an excellant show. I think it is one of my favorites. How can you compare this to the Anna Nicole show? You obviously haven't seen it.

Thanks for the recap above. I enjoyed the commentary.

I just wanted to add, how dumb were the NFL wives for using the fast forward this soon? They were 2 hours ahead of 4 other teams. You have to save the fast forward until you really need it. I was routing for them after they got treated like crap twice, but to make a mistake like that is just plain idiotic.

You could see fat and fatter were going to lose real quickly. I can't see why people that are 100 pounds overweight enter a race.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MasterZeus

I agree. This is an excellant show. I think it is one of my favorites. How can you compare this to the Anna Nicole show? You obviously haven't seen it.

Seen both ... never again ... feel intelligence slipping ... must get away from screen ... ooohhh, who is that fat bovine beast ... where is my twinky .... my remote - BAD...... Grunt

NNNNOOOOOOOO!
  • Reply 13 of 34
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    We love T.A.R.s.

Except for one aspect of it which is so ridiculous.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    And that aspect is?
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

And that aspect is?

Phil's pitiful hosting contribution, of course!
  • Reply 16 of 34
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    I know it's not saying much, but the Amazing Race is pretty much the best reality show out there. I guess I have a thing for good scenery and seeing other parts of the world, as my second favorite would be The Mole. I don't really see how people can consider this show dumbing down. It takes an amazing amount of travel acumen, cleverness, and improvisation (OK and plenty of luck) to succeed in the race, and you get to see at least snippets of other cultures you'd never explore otherwise.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by gyc

I know it's not saying much, but the Amazing Race is pretty much the best reality show out there. I guess I have a thing for good scenery and seeing other parts of the world, as my second favorite would be The Mole. I don't really see how people can consider this show dumbing down. It takes an amazing amount of travel acumen, cleverness, and improvisation (OK and plenty of luck) to succeed in the race, and you get to see at least snippets of other cultures you'd never explore otherwise.

It must be the fact that we live in boring states. (IN and IL).

I, too, list TAR (1,2,3 or 4) as my #1 show, and the Mole #2.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    It's on again tonight (Thursday June 6) on CBS!

I think that tonight will help us to start forming stronger opinions about all the teams~
  • Reply 19 of 34
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I think my least favorite three teams are the old fat guys, Chip+Reichen, and the NFL wives. I liked Chris+Amanda becuase they talk like I do...repeated use of "dude," "the f-bomb, the s-bomb. I can't believe they're from South Dakota. It was great. Too bad Chris is a retard and they were eliminated.

Now i've got to pull for Millie and what's his face...he's not important.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    LEG 2 : Cortina, Italy to Venice, Italy

This leg was spent entirely inside of Italy, picking up from last week's Pit Stop of Cortina, up in the Dolomite Mtns. The teams had to wake up really early and head off to find a nearby out-of-season ski jump which is used for ice-rafting by the locals in the off-season. That means some guys who pick you up in their truck at the bottom of the run and drive you to the top, get you into their rubber raft and push off toward the bottom. Somehow Kelly & John misread their clue and arrived at the top of the hill instead of the bottom. Their taxi long-gone and the beginning of the Roadblock down at the bottom of the ski-run, John slid down the long ramp on his butt...and Kelly followed right along. Eventually everyone finished this task and got the next clue, instructing them to head to a certain bridge in Venice with the stipulation that they could not fly there. The majority of the teams got to the bus station before it opened, and there was a power struggle at the (locked) door to the station as "married" couple Reichen & chip challenged the validity father-son team Steve & Josh to be first into the station. It all came out as a wash, as all but two (tardy) teams managed to leave on a train to Venice. The two laggard teams were Kelly & Jon and Tian & Jaree. They spent their train ride to Venice wondering where the other teams were (why, ahead of you of course, you idiots). Tian & Jaree fought for much of the ride.

The next event was a Detour. Teams had to find the next clue in a small plaza shown on a supplied map. They could accomplish the task two ways: either with a supplied gondola (with gondoleer) or their own two feet. People in the gondolas could not ask for directions while people traveling by foot could ask for help. This one was a time-killer because all the teams managed to accomplish the task and get their clue to the next event (a "party") well before that event was ready to begin at 5pm.

Some teams opted to kill time before the party started, taking in a little of Venice. When they got back to the queue for the party they found all the other teams already in line...no fights like they had at the bus station back in the mountains. This Roadblock required one team member from each team to take a photograph into a staged masked ball and find the person wearing the mask in that photograph, only four players at a time were allowed inside. If you handed a photo to the right person you'd receive an envelope with the next clue, if you handed it to a person whose mask didn't match the picture they would take the photo and keep it. This was a doozy of a task for some people. The interior of the building was dark and cavernous, lit with indirect floods and a lot of candles. All the costumed people kept walking around and around, up and down stairs, from room to room. Eventually everyone made it out, but Chris (from Chris & Amanda) was too flustered to do it correctly the first time and picked the wrong person, so he had to go to the end of the line (back outside) and wait his turn to go back in and try again. Unbelievably he did it AGAIN.

Anyway, they were last to the Pit Stop, which was aboard a boat some way from that "party".

So far I still don't have any teams that I want to win.

Probably never will.

The teams:

Amanda & Chris

Tired of hearing the girl with the potty mouth and the bad attitude. I got enough of that with Flo from Amazing Race 3. Glad to see them go.

David & Jeff

Didn't even notice these two this race, guess that's good for them.

Jon & Al

Also didn't notice these two much this time around. They were one of the teams who went wandering around Venice and got back late to the line outside the masked ball.

Kelly & Jon

Strange, strange relationship here...still. Now she's not just the doting "I love Jon and he'll be glad to marry me" person, she's also the person calling him an idiot. She's sticking up for herself and not letting him just "be in charge", because if you don't know where you are or what you're doing in this race you're going to lose. This race requires team-players. I hope these two last the race, I want to figure this relationship out more.

Millie & Chuck

I didn't remember anything memorable about these two this time around.

Monica & Sheree

Monica was almost as bad as Chris at this game, they were probably less than five or ten minutes ahead of Chris & Amanda at the end of this leg. But they made it.

Reichen & Chip

The "married" guys stuck up for themselves at the bus station and it looks like they're being forced into a more agressive role by some of the other teams, notably Steve & Josh. That's part of this race, get in the other team's face if they try to buffalo you into letting them go first when there's no structure to an event.

Russel & Cindy

Staying in the middle of the pack this time around. I don't recall anything contentious happening between these two.

Steve & Dave

I said that I don't think this team will make it through the fourth leg of the race and I'm sticking to that prediction. This time around the guys were hurting and went for (and got) the Fast Forward. It wasn't even a hard Fast Forward, just participate in some Italian Street Theatre.

Steve & Josh

These two are becoming terrific team-mates, playing the game hard. They're also playing mean, which could come back to bite them in the ass. They've already moved against the two black ladies in the last leg and the gay couple in this leg. Might just be a coincidence, but it seems they may be slowly building a coalition of teams who might work against them at some point.

Tian and Jaree

Okay, I like the girl who can run without wheezing. The one who wheezes totally refuses to acknowledge how out-of-shape she is. Are these two really a couple? The hug in the gondola made me go "hmmmmmmmm". I'd like to see this team make it further so I can yell at the TV some more.