Mac OS 7 Software

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My girlfriends brothers PC pretty much blew up the other day so he is going to have to use an old Performa 5200 for the next little while. Just wondering if any one knows of a good site to get old mac software. What browser should I put on? Email? You get the idea. Also, is it worth it to find a place that sells ram for this old clunker so I can install OS 8? It's got 8MB of ram installed and I don't think that's enough for the OS. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

My girlfriends brothers PC pretty much blew up the other day so he is going to have to use an old Performa 5200 for the next little while. Just wondering if any one knows of a good site to get old mac software. What browser should I put on? Email? You get the idea. Also, is it worth it to find a place that sells ram for this old clunker so I can install OS 8? It's got 8MB of ram installed and I don't think that's enough for the OS. Thanks in advance.

8 megs of ram is (sadly) more than enough for os7. in fact, i think it can do with 4 (possibly less). i dont know about antiquated programs though. i used to use netscape back then, but i wouldn't know where to find old versions. netscape used to do web and email, so if you can find it you score twice.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    You can get old versions of netscape at http://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/

But I think I prefered IE 4 over netscape back then. I think iCab also works.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    inactionmaninactionman Posts: 618member
    What's the latest version of Quicktime that can run on 7.5.1? I just installed QT3, wondering if I could push 4. I've installed Mosaic and Netscape-was I.E. good back in the day or was it as shite then as it is today?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Stay with QT3, I think QT4 started the lame 'pro' feature set crippling you of simple things such as full screening.

Back in the day both IE and Netscape sucked pretty badly (compared to now anyway), but I think I preferred IE for some reason, faster I think. Do try iCab though (www.icab.de).
  • Reply 5 of 10
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Go to

http://www.jagshouse.com

That site is probably the mother of all OS-7 software downloads & links..

It has to be seen to be believed...

I also run a couple of Lc-475's on the net. You should be able to get Explorer 4 to run without trouble.

Secondly, you might get away with running os-8 on Performa..

I am runnin OS-8 on the Lc-475's & their only 68K macs....but they still kick ass.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I'm having trouble getting the Performa connected to the internet. Anyone know of a simple way to do this. I tried using FreePPP but couldn't figure out the proper set up and for the life of me, I cannot remember how I used to do this back in my LC630/Performa days. One other thing-how do you get ClarisWorrks 3 to open Words documents?

Thanks for the help.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Go to

http://www.jagshouse.com

That site is probably the mother of all OS-7 software downloads & links..

It has to be seen to be believed...

I also run a couple of Lc-475's on the net. You should be able to get Explorer 4 to run without trouble.

Secondly, you might get away with running os-8 on Performa..

I am runnin OS-8 on the Lc-475's & their only 68K macs....but they still kick ass.

If I try to run OS8 on the Performa, do I need to increase the RAM from 8 to 12 or 16, or can it grind away on 8 megs of ram?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

If I try to run OS8 on the Performa, do I need to increase the RAM from 8 to 12 or 16, or can it grind away on 8 megs of ram?

There is a thread in Jaghouse that tells you which Os's work with which computers..

Regarding the amount of ram..It might be an issue, but I don't think so....besides which......you can always try Virtual ram & dropping some of the Os component functions..

I hacked my OS-8 configuration down to just 4.5 Megabytes of ram on the 475's & it purrs like a kitten..

So I shouldn't see why not...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    If you want an excellent full-featured word processor I would recommend getting the now free version of WordPerfect that was disasterously and tragically discontinued for the Mac.

You can find a copy here.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

If you want an excellent full-featured word processor I would recommend getting the now free version of WordPerfect that was disasterously and tragically discontinued for the Mac.

You can find a copy here.

Thats a great tip in General....