Firewire : Powerbook To Powerbook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My 12" Powerbook is getting replaced soon. I have an ample amount of time to transfer data before I ship the old unit back to Apple. I have read I can use the target disc mode to get this done. Now, is there a simple way to transfer everything? I ask because thats exactly what I want to do: Take every bit of info on my old computer and transfer it to the new machine. Any tricks I should know about to make this easier on myself?

An observation: How can a computer store charge $40 for a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable? Thats outrageous! I have found them online for $14! What gives? It kind of sucks I have to order one from somewhere out of town to get a deal, but thats money I am willing to save for the inconvenience. And people wonder why I drove 3 hours to buy my Powerbook. The local Apple dealer is a rip-off.

Any helpful hints on transfering data greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trebuchet

My 12" Powerbook is getting replaced soon. I have an ample amount of time to transfer data before I ship the old unit back to Apple. I have read I can use the target disc mode to get this done. Now, is there a simple way to transfer everything? I ask because thats exactly what I want to do: Take every bit of info on my old computer and transfer it to the new machine. Any tricks I should know about to make this easier on myself?

An observation: How can a computer store charge $40 for a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable? Thats outrageous! I have found them online for $14! What gives? It kind of sucks I have to order one from somewhere out of town to get a deal, but thats money I am willing to save for the inconvenience. And people wonder why I drove 3 hours to buy my Powerbook. The local Apple dealer is a rip-off.

Any helpful hints on transfering data greatly appreciated.

+ get carbon copy cloner (versiontracker), install it on your 12"pb

+ switch off both machines

+ start your old computer in target mode (t), your pb as "master"

+ click ccc

+ copy your whole stuff on the other machine (ccc needs a while, don't hurry&worry)

DONE!

did this with my new hd, even passwords, keys etc were transfered... great prg
  • Reply 2 of 6
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

+ get carbon copy cloner (versiontracker), install it on your 12"pb

+ switch off both machines

+ start your old computer in target mode (t), your pb as "master"

+ click ccc

+ copy your whole stuff on the other machine (ccc needs a while, don't hurry&worry)

DONE!

did this with my new hd, even passwords, keys etc were transfered... great prg

You don't have to switch off the 'master' machine! Firewire is hot-pluggable. I just performed that trick with two newfangled iBooks. You just switch of the one you're going to start up holding t (in target mode, in other words), and it's hard disk will appear on the desktop of the other comp.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

You don't have to switch off the 'master' machine! Firewire is hot-pluggable. I just performed that trick with two newfangled iBooks. You just switch of the one you're going to start up holding t (in target mode, in other words), and it's hard disk will appear on the desktop of the other comp.

in technical terms you are absolutly right.-

but:

many people have seen their firewire ports going into smoke while "(very) hot plugging", e.g. using a formac studio device or a bus-powered hd.

my instruction was just "safety first" ;-)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

in technical terms you are absolutly right.-

but:

many people have seen their firewire ports going into smoke while "(very) hot plugging", e.g. using a formac studio device or a bus-powered hd.

my instruction was just "safety first" ;-)

who has? its hot swapable technology. if u really want to be safe then by that logic disconnect the computer from the wall. and on a powerbook that means kill the battery too. I hope you guys know how to read sarcasm cause i sure as hell don't
  • Reply 5 of 6
    trebuchettrebuchet Posts: 176member
    Thanks k_munic, just what I needed to know!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member