AOL 9 beta uses QuickTime instead of Real

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
linky at eWeek

Quote:

Several long-rumored changes such as a switch from Microsoft Internet Explorer to AOL Time Warner's own Netscape browser are not included in the current beta release.

However, one notable change was the inclusion of Apple Computer's QuickTime media player in lieu of RealNetworks' RealOne player, which had been the technology powering AOL's media player.

If this holds, it could be a huge boon to QT and Apple. Could there also be further tie-ins using QT frameworks? Ah, but that's maybe going too far into speculation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    the heck with netscape browser...they should go with Phoenix...i have been using it on my PC and it runs great...haven't need IE at work since i loaded phoenix...haven't used IE on my home iMac for ages

g
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Back on topic...

...yes, it is absolutely fabulous, and it makes you wonder--between iChat and now this, how tight can these two become?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Back on topic...

...yes, it is absolutely fabulous, and it makes you wonder--between iChat and now this, how tight can these two become?

i believe it was mentioned in the Fortune article about the ITMS that AOL is considering using iTunes as it's music store...

that would certainly be something big, and could help to explain the QT tie-in...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

i believe it was mentioned in the Fortune article about the ITMS that AOL is considering using iTunes as it's music store...

that would certainly be something big, and could help to explain the QT tie-in...

it is interesting... the ITMS uses XML..... doesnt neccessarily require iTunes. Perhaps AOL could just have ITMS as a part of the windows version of AOL.

who knows.... but QT being used instead of real is MAJOR news for Apple and a huge boon for quicktime
  • Reply 5 of 9
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

the heck with netscape browser...they should go with Phoenix...i have been using it on my PC and it runs great...haven't need IE at work since i loaded phoenix...haven't used IE on my home iMac for ages

g

Just a reminder that since version 7.0, the Netscape source code is directly derived from the Mozilla code. The Mozilla group has recently decided to split the browser (Phoenix nee Firebird) and the mail client (Thunderbird). But it takes time for an open source code (and radical architecture changes) to trickle over to the Netscape code and maybe the AOL code.

Closer to topic:

Amazon.com, Microsoft in streaming deal

Quote:

Amazon will use Microsoft's Windows Media Services 9 (WM9), with encoding services provided by digital media services provider LoudEye. The deal will also affect sample streams at Borders.com, CDNow.com and VirginMega.com, which outsource their e-commerce sites through Amazon.

Coming soon: "Amazon Music Store (powered by Windows Media 9)," anyone? The digital media landscape is shifting fast.

Screed
  • Reply 6 of 9
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    "between iChat and now this, how tight can these two become?"

Well now that you ask... as you know you there was the BIG rumor that Apple was making a 6 billion dollar big for universal music...now I am not saying I want this to happen but.... the days of AOL market cap in the hundreds of billions are over....and the days of AOL being worth more than time warner is over... it wouldn't suprise me that if AOL was separated from Time Warner it would go for about 10 billion or so...

Now we what if Apple took over AOL but still kept exclusive ties with time warners entertainment division for exclusive content as well as being able to sell tracks for less than the competition in order to drive the price of music down, entice a bigger audience, and to separate it from other services who wouldn't have the ability to do this... for Mac users we would have apple controlling every aspect of the online experience...and the same way AOL was agressive with getting customers years ago to it online service tossing cd's out like nuts...they can switch there focus to getting people on macs

Hey they wouldn't even have to change the name...

AppleOnLine

• Reply 7 of 9
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    OMG

• Reply 8 of 9
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Could mean nothing. They may just be covering their trademark(s).

I was not online (or a Mac user, come to think of it) when Apple's eWorld was around, but I'm sure Apple would have to think twice before getting into that business again.

The question is Why? What does Apple have to gain in becoming a Mac only ISP? What is there to the "online epxerience" other than being, well online? You can be online faster but that is still in the hands of mega-big telecom firms.

Closer ties to AOL to get the Time-Warner fare makes more sense than gobbling up an ejected AOL. Besides Earthlink's market cap is a more digestible $970 million dollars.

If Apple does become an ISP, I hope they run a fiber line to every single Mac user's house.

[Advert]Imagine Bondi Blue tractors running cable trenches. Caption: "Surf Different"[/Advert]

Screed
  • Reply 9 of 9
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Producer

OMG

AppleOnline used to be a Mac-only UK ISP. Then Apple got snotty with them and made them change the name.

It was a good ISP too... standard service (free membership, local call rate, webspace etc) plus a Mac specific support team.

Amorya