Partitioning

emeeme
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi, i want to install ydlinux 3.0 and i need to make a partition for it, is there anyway of doing these without formatting my whole harddrive

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    No. You could try using the command line pdisk tool, but I doubt you could do it without losing your data. Unless you back up all your files first, I wouldn't even try. And, if you back up your files anyways, you might as well just reinstall, that part is fairly quick, backing up is the bad part.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Yes,

Buy a new HD and pretend it's a partition.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

No. You could try using the command line pdisk tool, but I doubt you could do it without losing your data. Unless you back up all your files first, I wouldn't even try. And, if you back up your files anyways, you might as well just reinstall, that part is fairly quick, backing up is the bad part.

pdisk can do it! i've successfully partitioned my drive a few years ago [the program i used was for os9, but i doubt the osX version losses this capability], without any data loss, to make room for a gnu/linux partition. But you should definitely backup everything. there could always be problems.

just out of curiousity, what will gnu/linux give you, that OSX doesn't have? i mean, afterall, OSX is Unix-based, and gnu/linux is Unix-like. While not totally similar in their execution, they do accomplish the same goals, and have sufficiently similar backings.