problems with iPod freezing: need advice

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Now, before any of you get mad at me for buying it used...just read and help me.

I bought a used iPod on ebay that was immaculate and kept in a marware case. It came in it's original box, insured and packaged well from a seller with a good rep. Not a scratch on the thing, and I did pay with paypal so I am protected for another 2 weeks if I want to do a charge back with paypal.

I uploaded my itunes songs fine and played it a few times in my house w/out a problem. I finally took it out of my house and was into about 3 songs and it froze on "shock the monkey" by peter gabriel. It wil NOT turn off or ON and will not respond when it's plugged into my computer. Just sits right at 5 seconds into the song. I am assuming b/c it IS like a computer, and does freeze I just need to do a force shut down.

I have contacted the seller and I received the following reply:

"They do that from time to time, its just like a computer, they freeze. Look on apples website on how to do a hard reset. It will reset it just like pressing the power button on a machine. I THINK its holding the menu and play button together while pressing the middle one, i cant remember if thats right, though.

Definately check with apples website. Itll tell you what to do. It happened to me a few times.

Dont worry!"

*Is this true? Can you tell me how to unfreeze it or shall I parooze the apple site?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I went to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705 and did what they said. Now my ipod apple came up and it's updating my lib I guess--ok, all set.

But, I'd still like to know if this is common...and should it happend daily or once a month depending on use.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i think you slide the hold button on, then slide the hold button off...then you hold the play and the menu button at the same time for so many seconds...it should reboot...i will look for the exact apple wording and be right back

g
  • Reply 2 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Holding down the menu and play buttons will reset the device, alright. You don't lose anything but some of your settings (eq, etc). If it happens frequently, I don't know what the solution is. You could just update the firmware (or just restore the firmware if it's already upto 1.3)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    chic4macchic4mac Posts: 99member
    thanks for the quick reply. I am all set now. few, feeling like an idiot and hope it doesn't happen more often---
  • Reply 4 of 7
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
  • Reply 5 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    some songs can get corrupted and freeze the iPod... see if you can play the song again on the iPod, if you cant you may have to "re-rip" the song...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ok ive had this problem with my 20GB Ipod and i want to get it fixed cause i love my ipod

its liking to freeze randomly. i had it for awhile to where i let it play a couple seconds into a song and i can skip it then and it wouldnt freeze. but now its freezing whenever the heck it feels like. so ive been reading cause hard resets arent even working now...

i read to plug it in and reformat and erase everything on the system, but i plug it in and it freezes and i have to let it die before trying again. well tried multiple times now and no luck, still freezing... any suggestions on how to get my baby back up and working??
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I got the IPOD Classic 80gb just a week ago. Already it froze up on me.

Its been frozen for hours now and won't do anything.

Any good advice? Thnx.