SE T610 - How to "decustomise"?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi there!

I just got my T610 a few hours ago. It has - unfortunately -been "customised" for my carrier, Vodafone. Customising means that they have custom icons, a custom theme, custom welcome screen etc. At first I tried to restore the factory defaults which resulted in the loss of all but three ring tones - the most annoying ones, by the way - but it still has the crappy Vodafone appearance.

Is there a save way to "decustomise", i.e. to restore the original SE software?

And - a little off topic - is there a way to get rid of the "custom" stickers they put on that little beauty?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    There is a great way to customise this device.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Harald, you are perhaps the most infuriatingly vague poster on AppleInsider.

Is there any truth to the rumors that Apple will be offering a branded T610?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Harald, you are perhaps the most infuriatingly vague poster on AppleInsider.

I don't think he was being vague. I think he was being difficult. He was answering the question asked extremely clearly.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    lungarettalungaretta Posts: 194member
    so has the t610 hit the market in germany or is this a preview item?

i'm sitting patiently in the uk for one.

what are your opinions of it? is it as slow as some suggest?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lungaretta

so has the t610 hit the market in germany or is this a preview item?

i'm sitting patiently in the uk for one.

what are your opinions of it? is it as slow as some suggest?

UI is fast. As fast as any phone and much better looking. Superb.

Loading the java engine first time is slow, as is initialising java apps (which are none the less superb).

It's a superb device.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Harald's right ... it is an amazing phone, other than the audio problem exhibited by the majority of the first batch out on the market. (A very noticeable hiss/static when talking, which the other party cannot hear).

In the few short hours I had my phone, before I sent it back for replacement, I was very impressed.

If you're thinking of buying one, though, confirm with the seller that it does not have the hissing problem. Sony Ericsson have stated that any of the problematic phones will have to be sent in to an SE service centre for a hardware fix.

As much as I loved the phone, I wasn't willing to spend that much money on a phone which needed immediate repair, and I'm now waiting for the place I got mine from to get new stock in. It's been a tough 6 days without my new toy.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

There is a great way to customise this device.

I am a little puzzled about your answer... do you know how - if possible - the original SE software can be restored?

As for the "hissing" problem: Voice quality wans't all that good. How do I know that my phone is one of the problematic batch? Are there any (serial)numbers to check?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

I am a little puzzled about your answer... do you know how - if possible - the original SE software can be restored?

As for the "hissing" problem: Voice quality wans't all that good. How do I know that my phone is one of the problematic batch? Are there any (serial)numbers to check?

From what I've heard, the provider-customized t610's *cannot* be converted to a non-customized phone. The firmware flashes only overwrite part of the flash memory, and leaves the provider-customizations intact.

The 'hissing' affected almost all of the first batch of phones that they shipped - although some lucky folk have reported no problems at all. The phone I had had terrible sound quality on incoming calls, which got worse when the person stopped speaking. The outgoing sound quality was excellent, though.

Not sure if there's any way to check the serial number or IMEI to see if it's affected ... but since SE have apparently fixed all of the new phones leaving the factory, you may want to check the build date on the sticker under the battery and make sure your phone was produced in 03W20 or later. (Earlier than that will likely place it in the first batch with the problem.)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

From what I've heard, the provider-customized t610's *cannot* be converted to a non-customized phone. The firmware flashes only overwrite part of the flash memory, and leaves the provider-customizations intact.

Sad but true! Now I have the official word form an SE representative that customised phones can *NOT* be "de-customised". I will send it back - mainly because of the customising - and buy an unbranded one. I wonder why every provider is doing this nonsense!?!

Quote:

The 'hissing' affected almost all of the first batch of phones that they shipped - although some lucky folk have reported no problems at all. The phone I had had terrible sound quality on incoming calls, which got worse when the person stopped speaking. The outgoing sound quality was excellent, though.

Not sure if there's any way to check the serial number or IMEI to see if it's affected ... but since SE have apparently fixed all of the new phones leaving the factory, you may want to check the build date on the sticker under the battery and make sure your phone was produced in 03W20 or later. (Earlier than that will likely place it in the first batch with the problem.)

Mine is "dated" 03W17... the SE rep didn't confirm that there was a whole batch having the problem but rather individual customers and I was asked to send it in for repair. So I guess they are aware of the problem but don't want to admit it. Well it's going back and I will get one of the later ones.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    lixlix Posts: 56member
    VF want you to use all their Live! rubbish so you spend more money with them. You should be able to return it and ask for an unbranded one if you get on the phone to someone decent at Vodafone Connect, either that or you'll have to get one SIM free.