Rev B iMac and Jaguar

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I'm looking for help if anyone can please offer any help it would be greatly appreciated.

I am running a Rev B iMac with 256 MB of RAM, 6 MB video ram and am thinking of upgrading the HD. I own a copy of Jaguar and am thinking of installing it on this machine.

A few questions:

1) Is anyone out there running Jaguar on a RevB iMac? If so any thoughts?

2) If I install a new HD (not intimidated to do so I installed the RAM in both slots) will the machine act as dual boot or will it boot in OS X only? (I don't know if it makes a difference but I have the teacher's copy of Jaguar.)

3) If installing Jaguar is a go, which OS do I upgrade to for optimal stability?

Again any help would be apprecited, thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    1.) That'd be me. Rev. B 233, 384MB RAM, 80GB HD. It's tolerable, stick to Cocoa apps and you'll be fine. Not as fast as 9 yet, but infinitely less crashtacular.

2.) I'm not sure what you're asking here...the machine will always be dual boot (it can handle any amount of OS 8.5-9 installs and OS X installs.) When you install the drive, however, make sure to partition it after booting off of the OS X install CD. Make the first partition under 8GB, and you'll be able to install a System onto it. This is a must. For tips on making the other volume act as your home folder PM me. And the only difference between the retail Jag and the teacher's Jag is (should be?) the price.

3.) I'm running 10.2.6 with no problems. No updates in between have given me much problems either.

Have fun with OS X. My AIM SN is listed in my profile if you need help.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yup, my rev. A iMac is chugging away nicely... 10.2.6 288MB ram and the original tiny 4gig HD... I'm thinking of putting a 10 giger i have lying around in it... what would be the best way to partition it? 2 gigs for the system? or just leave the full 10?

ps turn of icon bouncing in the dock and you may also want to turn the colors down to 1000's...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    In my experience, turning the colors from millions to thousands does little.

And if you don't partition that drive so that you have a volume within the first 8GB of the drive for system installation, the X installer most likely won't let you install at all. I know it wouldn't let me.