Can anyone suggest a suitable wireless printer?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi from a newbie,

Just come back into the Mac fold after spending 3 years in the PC wilderness. This is my rig, recently purchased:

IBook 900MHz G3 with 12" screen and Airport Card,

Airport Extreme base station,

IPod 15 GB.

Now, apparently I'm supposed to be able to plug a USB printer into the Airport base station for wireless printing. I've borrowed am HP Deskjet 6122 which according to Apple's website is compatible. After installing the printer drivers, it printed OK when plugged into the IBook's USB port. I then plugged it into the Airport base station. Rendezvous found it OK and identified it correctly, however I can't seem to make it print anything. When I attempt to print anything, the print manager goes "connecting to printer..." then it seems to go into 'stopped' mode, and the print is queued. No error messages.

As usual in these situations both the HP and Airport manuals are NO HELP WHATSOEVER!!! (is the printer switched on? is it connected? DUH!!) so I wondered if anyone had had a similar experience, or any tips or suggestions for a fix, or a brand/model of printer that does work.

I know that it's only the Extreme base station that offers wireless printing via Rendezvous, but the card inside my Mac is the standard Airport card, as the IBook is not compatible with the Airport Extreme card. Could this be a factor? Hope I've provided enough info! Thanks.