Fatal 10.2.6 upgrade?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is too weird...

I just upgraded two lab Dual-1.25's to 10.2.6 via Software Update. One went just fine, as my personal iBook did. The other had a kernel panic when it tried to reboot (immediately after initiation of the reboot, not during startup). After a hard restart, all it would produce is the flashy-disk error. I tried booting off the diagnostic cd, and after showing the "loading" graphic, it crashed to an openfirmware command line with an "invalid memory access" error. Trying to start booting off the diagnostic cd again gave a "decremeter execption" error. I tried the only thing I could think of -swapping around the RAM - but to no avail.

This machine has been working flawlessly since we received it less than a month ago. But this smells like a catastrophic hardware failure. Coincident with the 10.2.6 update, but it must be way beyond a disk-corruption issue, or the diagnostic cd would boot.

Help? Any suggestions besides "Call AppleCare on Tuesday"?

P.S. - Actually there's one more peice of weirdness. I initially managed to get it to boot to the login screen, once, by ejecting the empty CD tray while it was flashing the "no disk" icon. Restart from there again produced a kernal panic, and it would boot no more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I need to stop hyperventilating. I realized that even if I can't boot far enough to fsck, I can at least reset the firmware. Did that, and the Mac's back to normal. So the upgrade apparently scrambled the firmware, somehow. Almost gave me a heart attack. Good thing I know CPR.

On a random note, after I reset the firmware, it went to the gray screen, circled a while, then rebooted again and went through to login. I wonder if that was an artifact of the firmware reset, or if the system was doing multiple rounds of fsck. I ran fsck manually afterwards and found no problems, despite the many untidy restarts.