How many Icons do you keep on your Dock?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How many permanent Icons are on your Dock? I really have no idea what the 'standard' practice is out there, and I would be interested to know. I keep 15 and find that to be quite a bit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    HELP! I screwed up in putting down the numbers. Too much of a hurry I guess. The choices should read

1 to 5

6 to 10

11 to 15

16 to 25

or More than 25.

I can't seem to get access to edit this. Moderators please help!

Edit: Even better might be

26-30

More than 30.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I didn't really count how many but here you go

http://www.polluxchung.com/foto/thedock.jpg
  • Reply 3 of 51
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I fixed your poll.

• Reply 4 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I fixed your poll.

Many thanks. Very Amicable of you.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    In addition to Finder and Trash I have 13 apps and 3 folders; Applications, my Documents fodler, and my Downloads folder. I use A-Dock on the side to show just what is running.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

I didn't really count how many but here you go

http://www.polluxchung.com/foto/thedock.jpg

I count 46. That's quite something. I am curious what a few of those are.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    I picked 1-5, then realized it said Dock, not Desktop. My Dock has 25 permanant icons (including the finder and the Trash)
  • Reply 8 of 51
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    My Dock.

19 permanent icons. Ten bucks says that no one here can guess what the one to the right of Safari is (it's the original app icon.)
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

My Dock.

19 permanent icons. Ten bucks says that no one here can guess what the one to the right of Safari is (it's the original app icon.)

No idea what it is. And what are those ones that look a bit like Japanese characters? And what about that half-rotated Apple icon?

What a newbie I be. I guess I need more software, if only to collect the icons.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    If I think I see what you're seeing, the left one is Dreamweaver. The right one is something else from Macromedia, maybe Flash or Fireworks.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i used to try to keep ready-access icons int he dock, but now i use it strictly for a "running app" status indicator, and that's it. everything else is available either through desktop aliases, shortcut menus, or the universal window toolbar (remember, you can put almost ANYthing in that window toolbar for easy access).
  • Reply 12 of 51
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Apps:

Finder

Safari

Mail

iTunes

iPhoto

iMovie

TIFFany

PS Elements

Sketchup

Create

PStill

Folders:

Home

Desktop

Applications

...oh, and the Trash.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I've got 6 'permanent' icons in my dock.

DragThing is my friend.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    I keep 9 icons in my dock. That's 7 folders; (one for system stuff, one for internet, one for graphics etc.) classic dockling , & my boot drive (imaginatively named "DHhsotnicaM") All my apps are a right-click away.

I've also hacked the InfoPlist.strings & DockMenus.plist files, & renamed my trash to "Garbagery" and changed "Empty Trash" to "Dump In Street"

I can also move my dock to the top if I so wish, by using the dock menu, as opposed to the terminal or tinker tool (or plist editor.)

My dock is well loved, & well groomed.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    soulcrushersoulcrusher Posts: 587member
  • Reply 16 of 51
    7 aps, Finder, Trash, 1 favorites folder.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Ok, I can definitely beat all of your docks. Yes, I own and use all the apps in my dock at least once a month...

http://www.turborodent.com/dock.jpg

Here is the list, from left to right so you don't have to ask or wonder ;-)

Finder, Terminal, Calculator, iCab, Opera, Mozilla, Netscape, Camino, Internet Explorer, OmniWeb, Safari, Watson, Sherlock, Transmit, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Flash, Director, Quark, Maya, LightWave Modeler, LightWave Animator, Lightwave Hub, Final Cut Pro, Shake, Discreet Combustion, Filemaker Pro, Entourage, Word, Keynote, Quicken, Quickbooks, iPhoto, iTunes, Frogblast, iChat, ircle, EverQuest -- Uptime Dockling, Current Projects Folder, TurboPortal Folder (A project), Trash.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Ok, I can definitely beat all of your docks. Yes, I own and use all the apps in my dock at least once a month...

So that explains the LoCash screen name
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

So that explains the LoCash screen name

Actually, most of the software is given to me directly by the companies themselves; I actually don't purchase most of it, fortunately.

And before people start hounding me about it, EverQuest is still in beta, I cannot give it to you, but you can sign up for the beta at...

http://eqmac.station.sony.com/beta/
  • Reply 20 of 51
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The only apps I keep in the Dock are the three that are always open anyway: Mail, iChat, and Terminal. I keep a folder full of app aliases and the Documents folder in the Dock too.

In addition, I have made my Desktop read-only and it is completely void.