*CONFIRMED* Life on Mars

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
at least that's what this guy's saying

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2941826.stm

it's an interesting read. could raise interest in a flagging NASA program, not to mention rattle a few cages. what do you guys think? you think we'll for sure find life on other planets in our solar system?

granted, the guy in the article sounds like a bit of a crackpot, but it sounds like there might at least be mini-life on mars.

so what are the odds it would be built like us on a microscopic/cellular scale?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

at least that's what this guy's saying

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2941826.stm

it's an interesting read. could raise interest in a flagging NASA program, not to mention rattle a few cages. what do you guys think? you think we'll for sure find life on other planets in our solar system?

granted, the guy in the article sounds like a bit of a crackpot, but it sounds like there might at least be mini-life on mars.

so what are the odds it would be built like us on a microscopic/cellular scale?

if there is proof that life exists on mars will that shut up people who claim that life has such low chances of occuring that there must be a god?

besides that, same solar system similarly composed planets, if there is life then the probability is high that it is very similar to that found on earth...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    the **confirmed** bit is another bait-n-switch thread title tho....us space folks would've read the thread even without using that.

I'll wait until there's verifiable proof of current (or prior) life on Mars. I believe that robotic missions could successfully determine this, but having a manned team of researchers on-planet would be nice (although massively expensive).

Until the "proof" this guy's theory is as unproven as any.

Wish somebody would start a MOONBASE thread......<hint>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

if there is proof that life exists on mars will that shut up people who claim that life has such low chances of occuring that there must be a god?

No. They'll claim that His power was so awesome when He was zapping Earth with Miracle Grow? that He didn't notice spilling a little on poor old Mars.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

...could raise interest in a flagging NASA program....

Yeah. Like we need US to invade more territory based on loose asumptions.

LIGHTEN UP Groverat. Its a joke
  • Reply 5 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    bacteria=biological agents.

now we know where Saddam hid his WOMD. tally-ho!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Need I say more ?

• Reply 7 of 7
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    I would totally not be surprised if life (microbial) exhists on Mars. We already see plenty of these kinds of organisms in environments ON EARTH that we thought would be barren (volcanic sea vents, artic ice, sulfur springs, etc.) In fact, I'd be stunned if Mars was finally proven to be 100% a dead planet.