sharing address book

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone know how to share an address book over a network.

The help says to use LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) but how do you set that up?

Alternatively how do you set up the netinfo domain?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aussie John

Does anyone know how to share an address book over a network.

The help says to use LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) but how do you set that up?

Alternatively how do you set up the netinfo domain?

Thanks

I think that they were talking about with LDAP is setting up and LDAP server with all the info and using your address book to access it, then you could tell the server to give access to whom ever you wanted to share the address database with.

If you really want to share over the network just share the files that contain the database for address book. It's the directory :

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

That's where all your addressbook info is.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    aussie johnaussie john Posts: 173member
    thanks will try that
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Something I've suggested to a small company I work with is that they get one .Mac account, then all the computers on the network sync with that .mac account

- hey presto, everyone has the same address book and the same calendar. Plus all the other bits .Mac offers (publishing calendars of project events for clients to view on the web, virus etc)

Ok, Apple might see .Mac as a personal service, but it works brilliantly in this small workgroup scenario, hell, I think they should bring out a .Mac account tailored for this scenario.