Putin, Russia & the European Union.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Putin is asking the E.U member states to allow Russians to travel freely in an out of the E.U without the need of visas.

My question is :

Why doesn't Russia want to become part of the E.U.

They would pack an awfully big punch if they joined.

Surely it would be in all of Europe's interesest to see Russia as a member state.?

Or does Putin harbour old czarist / soviet imperialist intentions...ie " the Empire strikes back " ?

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Russia is covering both Europe and Asia so I think this is why they don't want to join EU
  • Reply 2 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Why would they want to join?

It's moot anyway. France and Germany wont allow it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Why would they want to join?

It's moot anyway. France and Germany wont allow it.

Really ?

You wouldn't think so given the way jacque Chirac is smooching up to Putin...

And as for Germany..they would probably benefit ecoonomically, given that they are suffering their deepest employement crisis since WW2.

• Reply 4 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea but France and Germany want to remain the kings of the EU. Russia would upset the apple cart.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Yea but France and Germany want to remain the kings of the EU. Russia would upset the apple cart.

The more things change.....the more they remain the same....Ie same old same old...\
  • Reply 6 of 7
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Putin was head of the KGB.

It obviously takes a counter-intelligence genius to fool 'ole George "I looked into his soul" Bush. heh
  • Reply 7 of 7
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Putin is asking the E.U member states to allow Russians to travel freely in an out of the E.U without the need of visas.

My question is :

Why doesn't Russia want to become part of the E.U.

They would pack an awfully big punch if they joined.

Surely it would be in all of Europe's interesest to see Russia as a member state.?

Or does Putin harbour old czarist / soviet imperialist intentions...ie " the Empire strikes back " ?

\

Russia's economy is not enough strong and stable at the moment to apply. Neither is the economy many other countries that will eventually (asap more or less qualify for the economica requirements) such as Malta (joining soon), Poland, Chech, Slovakia, Hungary, Turkey, Estonia and the countries below it, Marocco, Tunisia, Egypt ....