Which bass should I buy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Which entry-level bass would you buy? (you must pick one of these):

1) ESP LTD B104 (thin, flat necks are cool. Is the LTD sub-brand too cheap?)

http://espguitars.com/html/b-104.html

2) Ibanez SR300DX (active electronics! I'm not sure why Ibanez has so brands of basses...)

http://ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SR300DX

3) Spector NS-2000B, or Performer Series (killer hardware and an "elite" brand name)

http://www.spectorbass.com/NewFiles/...nceseries.html

All are bolt-on's. All are 4-string basses. All are fairly cheap ($300-$500), so I can beat it up a bit and not cry. All come in black. :0)

I use solid-state amps usually with 10" or 15" speakers. I use no effects except distortion sometimes.

The music I will play on the chosen bass is a modern, progressive rock style with post-punk influences. I hate to use the word metal or alternative, but I fit in there somewhere I think.

Shellac, Jesus Lizard, Voi Vod, Hot Snakes, Slint, Big Black, Thin Lizzy, COC, Bitch Magnet, Pitchfork, Rapeman, No Means No, Codeine, Gastr Del Sol, Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, DJ Krush, Johnny Cash, Slayer, Public Enemy, MDC, etc. I like a lot of stuff...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    www.talkbass.com <----the online mecca for all things bass related.

I have no experience with the ESP

but you certainly can't go wrong with the spector, or the ibanez for that matter, I'm not a huge fan of ibanez, but they do have some good products.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Before you buy one, you must sign a blood oath to never, ever, perform a bass solo.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    grrr

how about something like this?

AND THE DRAGON COMES IN THE NIIIIIGHT! Wrong Robust shredding
  • Reply 4 of 15
    enaena Posts: 667member
  • Reply 5 of 15
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Get the Spector. They make great gear.

But you might not want to rule out some of the foreign-made Fenders. I have a '99 Mexican-made Fretless Jazz Bass that's a delight. I can't remember exactly, and I was trading some stuff in on it, but I *think* it ran me about $400.

Whatever bass you get, make sure you have a good compressor. If at all possible, don't skimp on that.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 6 of 15
    which ever feels most comfortable. they are all reliable makes.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Shellac, Jesus Lizard, Voi Vod, Hot Snakes, Slint, Big Black, Thin Lizzy, COC, Bitch Magnet, Pitchfork, Rapeman, No Means No, Codeine, Gastr Del Sol, Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, DJ Krush, Johnny Cash, Slayer, Public Enemy, MDC, etc. I like a lot of stuff... [/B]

F*ck. If I didn't know you were in KC I'd swear you were peeking through my window at my CDs.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Get a music man
  • Reply 9 of 15
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    What bass should you buy??

How should I know? How can anyone in here know?

Go to every music store in the neighborhood, (and outside of it), and play every bass they got, and through an amp, or selection of amps you are familiar with. Make a pest of yourself...you are about to part with a large sum of money (if you going for a decent instrument), so bug the hell out of every store you go to. Turn it up loud...as loud as you dare. When you find the bass, you will know it...it will be like falling in love. And...be advised not make your final purchase from Guitar Center, unless you find the bass of your dreams there.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    argentoargento Posts: 483member

Flea Bass

(Musica Man 3 pickups ((I think))
  • Reply 11 of 15
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member

mmmm
  • Reply 12 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    How about this?

• Reply 13 of 15
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member