Microsoft to end IE, Safari needs to improve

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well, this is no surprise. MS and it's monopolistic ways is now looking to integrate IE into their future operating systems.

No more standalone versions of IE.

Of course that also means no more IE for Mac.

And before anyone says, who needs IE, just remember that Safari is still Beta and it's still has problems with many sites. Unfortunately the standard by which most people program sites to is still IE.

Safari is okay, but it still needs to mature quite a bit.

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1011859.html?tag=fd_top

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Darn, beat me to it by sixty seconds....

I think Safari 1.0 will be downloadable after the WWDC keynote, perhaps a few days before. If there's any new software coming, Apple won't want to tax their servers too heavily.

I don't load beta software on my machine, so I have yet to experience Safari. I know Autofill and tabs have been added during the beta cycle, so I'm looking forward to it!
  • Reply 2 of 55
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I don't think safari for window will make sense. I would instead to love to see Apple supports Mozilla for Windows
  • Reply 3 of 55
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Craptacular.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Wait.

Listen.

That sound you don't hear is my heart breaking. I haven't used IE in months and I have no desire to ever load it up again. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Actually, that CNET article doesn't have anything to do at all with IE for Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Slightly off topic.

One feature that I really want to see in Safari 1.0 is the ability to "emulate" itself and Internet Explorer for Windows. If this feature is included then we will not have to worry about going to some sites that require IE on a PC
  • Reply 7 of 55
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Uh, Leonis....

I don't see that anyone here has proposed Safari for Windows.

Been eating too much beef out there in the West?
  • Reply 8 of 55
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Slightly off topic.

One feature that I really want to see in Safari 1.0 is the ability to "emulate" itself and Internet Explorer for Windows. If this feature is included then we will not have to worry about going to some sites that require IE on a PC

Two words: Debug. Menu.

1) Close Safari, open Terminal

2) defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

3) There is no step 3!

Your prayers are answered.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 55
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Barto, you rule.

• Reply 10 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Uh, Leonis....

Been eating too much beef out there in the West?

Probably

....I just got a big stick dinner tonite, no kidding.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    westonmwestonm Posts: 140member
    Quote:

For my own future reference how would you find out something like that? I tried looking in plist editor before entering that, I found nothing. After entering that the preference was in plist editor. How would someone find this kind of stuff out?
  • Reply 12 of 55
    snofsnof Posts: 98member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Two words: Debug. Menu.

1) Close Safari, open Terminal

3) There is no step 3!

Your prayers are answered.

Barto

That will cause Safari to identify itself as IE but not behave like IE (I think), so for sites that only let you enter if you identify as IE it solves the problem.

But if the site is written to work only with IE, then telling it that you are using IE does no good, it may let you in, but it won't work properly.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Snof

That will cause Safari to identify itself as IE but not behave like IE (I think), so for sites that only let you enter if you identify as IE it solves the problem.

But if the site is written to work only with IE, then telling it that you are using IE does no good, it may let you in, but it won't work properly.

I'm sure Apple is working to improve compatibility with sites designed with IE in mind, or that requires IE for some reason. It knows this is important to customers. Bu at least sites can't shut you out if you're using Safari. It's going to be interesting to see if Apple includes this feature in the final release of Safari though.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Snof

That will cause Safari to identify itself as IE but not behave like IE (I think),

Why would you want it behave like IE. Slow, nasty piece of shit that Gates forces down the masses throat. If you want IE, then use IE!!

Surely by now we have options, Safari, Camino... why burden ourselves with the fecal matter that is IE? At the very worst Nutscrape. Anybody using Firebird (if I remember its name correctly)?

If only I had more ability with X11, Office would be gone in a flash.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

Why would you want it behave like IE. Slow, nasty piece of shit that Gates forces down the masses throat. If you want IE, then use IE!!

I don't think that was his point. He simply stated (quite clarly) that he wanted Safari to be compatible with sites designed for IE.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by westonm

For my own future reference how would you find out something like that?

Use the strings command in Terminal on the app, guess at what are some possible options, and plug them in hoping they have some effect.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Brad, you forgot *click*
  • Reply 18 of 55
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

He simply stated (quite clarly) that he wanted Safari to be compatible with sites designed for IE.

Personally, I'd kill web designers who test their work against the only browser. That being off-topic, there are standards and there is Microsoft. Redmond likes to establish its own standards and rarely follows experts' recommendations. They've been ignoring 3WC for years, bloating IE with strange features and bugs they call features, beyond hope or remedy. As a result, we have millions of lazy web designers who find it easier to test a page only in IE than to read manuals by 3WC. So, in a nutshell, Apple had better make a fast standards-compliant browser than copy IE's bugs and quirks.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

So, in a nutshell, Apple had better make a fast standards-compliant browser than copy IE's bugs and quirks.

I agree, but I wouldn't mind some kind of "IE on XP emulation" on sites that require it.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

I agree, but I wouldn't mind some kind of "IE on XP emulation" on sites that require it.

Yes. Alas, it would still be good for poor users.