Win a $2000 shopping spree from the Apple Store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Today in the mail i received this promotional card from apple:

Quote:

Win a $2000 online shopping spree-on us.

You could win one of three, $2000 Apple Store, Canada online shopping sprees. Start living the digital life, power up with new hardware, or get your hands on that must have accessory-the shoice is yours.

Whats more, everyone that enters wins a $25 electronic coupon to spend at the Apple Store online*. Plus, you also become instandly eligible to receive exclusive email notices directly from Apple...

*Valid with minimum purchase of $249 or more.

www.appleshoppingspree.ca

Did anyone else get one of these in the mail? I'm not sure why i received it, as it had my name, address and high school written on it. It also had a pin number for me to enter the contest with. Is it becaue i'm an online ADC member? Because i registered my iMac with apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    such an obvious scam.

here's the whois info:

Domain appleshoppingspree.ca

Organization

Jib Media Inc.

Registrar

Canadian Internet Technologies Inc.

Renewal Date

2004/04/09

Date approved

2003/04/09

Last changed

2003/05/02

Description

Registrar Number

Registrant Number

Domain Number

DNS1

ns.oditech.com

DNS2

ns1.oditech.com

DNS3

DNS4

DNS5

DNS6

Administrative Contact

Name

David Shephard

Job Title

Postal Address

Jib Media Inc. 110 Atlantic Avenue Toronto ON M6K 1X9 Canada

Phone

416-530-1624

Fax

Email

[email protected]

Technical Contact

Name

David Shephard

Job Title

Postal Address

Jib Media Inc. 110 Atlantic Avenue Toronto ON M6K 1X9 Canada

Phone

416-530-1624

Fax

Email

[email protected]
  • Reply 2 of 32
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

such an obvious scam.

Even though Jib Media has done work for Apple?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    What happens once you enter the pin number? This seems kinda unlike Apple to host a promotion, not on their own site. (Apple.ca) Plus, isn't the Canada online store, the same as the US online store? I am sure Apple Legal will take care of this scam.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I tried entering random 8 digit numbers. Got in on the second try.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Yeah I got in on the second time too, after entering random numbers. That is so not like Apple to use Flash either.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Now i'm worried

it all seemed legit.

i got an email after entering:

• Reply 7 of 32
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    hmmm.

perhaps i was wrong.

still seems weird to me though.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Any chance of seeing pictures from the password-protected section of the web site?

I still call "scam" on anything that tries to cover up every shred of information like that.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    appleshoppingspree.ca pic

there is music in the background, it says my name after hello and the HW at the bottom sis scrolling left to right...or right to left, i can't remember which
  • Reply 10 of 32
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Of course it is scam, apple does not:

-Use flash

-Embeds music into web pages

-Has disgusting moving parts to web pages

-Provides links to websites at apple.com that do not exist 'yet'

etc etc etc

Unless Apple Canada is on crack of course.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Apple would never use Flash, not when they can make Flash style animations in applications like AfterEffects and export it to QuickTime. I doubt I would ever see them do that either, but if they did, I'd expect them to pimp QT.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Unless Apple Canada is on crack of course.

Well...
  • Reply 13 of 32
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Any chance of seeing pictures from the password-protected section of the web site?

Heh, some scam!

It's not even really password protected. Enter 8 random numbers, click the button, and enter another 8 random numbers. It lets you in without a problem.

Sheesh.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    the generalthe general Posts: 649member
    well, why doesnt someone up north just call Apple itself and ask. thats one way to find out for sure..(unless this turns out to be apples iloo')
  • Reply 15 of 32
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

well, why doesnt someone up north just call Apple itself and ask. thats one way to find out for sure..(unless this turns out to be apples iloo')

Hello? Exactly!
  • Reply 16 of 32
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Heh...well, if this link becomes active on around June 30th or so, we'll know that it wasn't a scam...
  • Reply 17 of 32
    It's not legit, if you call the Apple Canada business line 1-800-263-3394 , and give them the web site address they say that it is not a promotion from them. Wonder how long that site will be up....
  • Reply 18 of 32
    doctorgonzodoctorgonzo Posts: 529member
    It's a scam, but $2,000 is only enough to buy a 64MB RAM stick from the Apple Store, anyway.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Hmmm... A "mathematical, skill-testing question?" What in the world? Did any of you who signed up get this, or does it happen only if your name is drawn on the 30th?

And: "The sponsor accepts no liability for printing errors on material distributed for this contest." Is this usually printed in contest rules? Or do they know that it's illegal, and covering their a**es for when Jobs comes after them?

I dunno, but it seems a little sketchy. Where is what's-his-face? You know, MacLawyer, or MacLaw or whatever his screenname was? Is he still around? I know his name changed here many times before AI went to VB, so is he hiding under some other name? Or just some lawyer in general?

Quote:

3. Selection Process:

Winners will be selected by random draw to be held at 8:30 a.m. EST in Toronto, Ontario, on June 30, 2003. Prize winners will be selected from amongst all eligible entries received via email by the contest closing date. Prizes must be accepted as awarded, and are not refundable or transferable. Only one Prize will be awarded per contest winner, family, household, group or organization. The selected entrants will be contacted by phone or email. To win, selected entrant(s) must first complete a written declaration confirming compliance with the contest rules and correctly answer a mathematical, skill-testing question to be administered by phone or email. In the event the contest sponsors are unable to notify the selected entrant within 14 days of the draw, that selected entrant will be disqualified and an alternate winner will be selected from among all remaining eligible entries. No correspondence pertaining to this contest will be entered into except with potential winners. The sponsor accepts no liability for printing errors on material distributed for this contest.

[Emphasis mine]

• Reply 20 of 32
    hmm seems 2 be a scam...thats no good, i wish i'd posted before entering

the skill testing question is standard in canada for free give-aways. its a legal thing, not sure if the same is true in the states. You have to answer a skill testing question if you win a free burger from mcdonalds, for example. generally its a simple order of operations question that they will give you the answer to.