A scene from an unknown film haunts me- please help

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I saw this film years ago as a child , it's a black and white western.The scene in question is at night and the baddies are riding around the town a-shooting and a-hollering. Watching from a upstairs window is a small boy who is then shot accidently by one of the men below, if that isn't shocking enough, ( and it was to me at the time) his body is discovered and his father (?) carries the dead boy down into the street between the rowdies who are shamed into silence. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

I saw this film years ago as a child , it's a black and white western.The scene in question is at night and the baddies are riding around the town a-shooting and a-hollering. Watching from a upstairs window is a small boy who is then shot accidently by one of the men below, if that isn't shocking enough, ( and it was to me at the time) his body is discovered and his father (?) carries the dead boy down into the street between the rowdies who are shamed into silence. Any ideas?

this was an american film?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    As far as I can remember Billybob: yeah i'm sure of it, it certainly wasn't a spaghetti or roast beef one.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Does it maybe star Gary Cooper? as a terrible law man?

or is it with Henry Fonda?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Does it maybe star Gary Cooper? as a terrible law man?

or is it with Henry Fonda?

was it maybe The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

was it maybe The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance?

That would be with Jimmy Stewart
  • Reply 6 of 15
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 7 of 15
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    I think that it must have been starring someone as good as the actors you mention, my dear departed dad would actually make us stay up to see proper films, for which i am very grateful, but none the wiser. Thanks so far good people.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    the only "kid in a western" that leaps to mind is Shane, but the kid i'm thinking of lives to holler annoyingly at the hero at the end.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    i'm seeing gregory peck

the gunfighter
  • Reply 10 of 15
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    There are two films that fit that bill ( roughly ).

The first is:

" Deadly Companions " (1961) with Maureen Ohara..et al. where a soldier accidently kills a boy, then agrees to take the funeral procession through hostile indian territory....

second is older :

" Cavalcade of the West " ( 1936 )

where a one of two young boys is kidnapped & raised by outlaws while his younger brother lives a good life in town.

Then the day arrives when the baddies ride into town for the ultimate showdown....

Hope this jiggles a few brain cells
  • Reply 11 of 15
    enaena Posts: 667member
    ...reminds me of the scene in Far and Away with Tom Cruise running down the street holding Nichole Kidman. What crap.

I wonder if that was a "tip of the hat" to the movie you remember?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

As far as I can remember Billybob: yeah i'm sure of it, it certainly wasn't a spaghetti or roast beef one.

I know what a spaghetti western is, where the heck is a roast beef western from???
  • Reply 13 of 15
    That would be England, do you mean to say that you've never seen Carry on Cowboy?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

That would be England, do you mean to say that you've never seen Carry on Cowboy?

Did I miss that one of the Carry on series.?

British cowboy movies...now that would be funny...?

But they had no need for Injuns..as the Brits were too busy with the Indian Rajh aka 1930's Ealingwood studios: showing the world how the " Empire " dealt with ruffians....Hip hip & all that ....
  • Reply 15 of 15
    G'day Aquafire, thanks for the Deadly Companions pointer, it might be the one but i can't tell without seeing it, though the boys death was caused by a soldier and not a roughneck. And where the hell is Ealingwood? Is it in the hinterland between Ealing and Pinewood perhaps? The Gainsborough studios in Islington where Hitchcock and Laughton et al made their first films have very recently been converted into flats ( condo's). Sniff.