Make your .mac feature request.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I request that Apple adds a dynamic DNS application to 10.3, which in conjunction with your .mac account allows you to access your computer from any other MacOS X computer that has an internet connection and an Apple client application. With the growth of broadband connections with dynamic IP address this would not only make .mac a must have, but would also add one more feature to 10.3 that would make people want to upgrade.

Your turn...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Like this supposed 'Pal'?... I would love for the .mac subscription to come with a couple free songs from the music store. A .mac blog thing eold be cool too.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Like this supposed 'Pal'?... I would love for the .mac subscription to come with a couple free songs from the music store. A .mac blog thing eold be cool too.

Similar to when Apple used to include a music video in the Quicktime Xtras folder on on the OS installation CD. The Old Apartment by the BNL.

edit: added Old 'cause Paul has a better memory than I do.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Welcome to the old apartment....

This is where we used to live...

• Reply 4 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I have no idea, but it better be great or they are losing my business.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I can sync addresses, calendars and now bookmarks between my desktop and laptop - and all was good.

I'm tempted to say I'd like to sync my keychain, but then there are "just a few" security issues that people might not like... hang-on , .Mac backup already stores keychain on apple servers so maybe it's not such a big deal.

What I'd really like is to allow third parties to plug-in to it, allowing me to sync my Transmit bookmarks and the like. As most of iSync is based around XML as a transit format, third developers should be able to use it pretty easily, if Apple just opened up iSync.

I guess there's an issue with copyright and legal issues (using apple iSync with your ipr0n plug-in sir?), although nothing more than storing stuff on idisk. Maybe if third party developers could register so Apple control what apps are part of iSync?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

I request that Apple adds a dynamic DNS application to 10.3

Like fahlman.my.mac.com?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

I request that Apple adds a dynamic DNS application to 10.3,

Since I'm paying the $100 .Mac Tax, I'd like to be able to use .Mac for virtual domain hosting. In other words, I'd like escher.com to show the content of my .Mac website.

I know you can get virtual domain hosting for less than $100, I already do. But I'd love to be able to move those hosting services to .Mac and not have to pay for both.

Escher
  • Reply 8 of 16
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Like fahlman.my.mac.com?

Or just fahlman.mac.com.

What's so funny about this? I actually think Dynamic DNS would be great. I use DynDNS.org's services all the time.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Or just fahlman.mac.com.

Well I doubt Apple would give us 3rd level domains. 4th level sounds more like it.

Quote:

What's so funny about this? I actually think Dynamic DNS would be great. I use DynDNS.org's services all the time.

Maybe it just sounds funny because no company of Apple's kind has done it. It just occurs odd to me that a computer platform manufacturer would offer subdomains to customers. The idea isn't bad, especially combined with the possibility of remote access to Aqua applications (what was the NeXT tool called? NX-Something?). It's just weird.

Also, you need to realize this might call up problems with ISP's contracts. I think it has become more popular to disallow using a home ISP connection for Internet services.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    How about having .mac mail working reliably? I'm pretty pissed today that it went down and I STILL can't log in with mail.app but I can through webmail. This is getting frustrating.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    I would like to be able to update my Web Pubished iCal via webbrowser from any computer, then it would update my iCal next time I open it on my Mac. I have Mac at home, PC at work and I can't update it from there
  • Reply 12 of 16
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I'd like to see iTunes playlists shared over .Mac. Just like the daap:// we used to have, but only allow it to be shared between .Mac users, and maybe some of that $100 could go to the labels for compensation.

Also, it would rock if they would team up with some of the good Mac magazines(are there any left?), and allow users to read the magazinges online. They'd have to be searchable, and we should be able to bookmark pages, and send snippets of the magazing, as a PDF or image, to anyone. They could make it an application like Backup, instead of a web-based service, so that other magazines and papers could add their stories and articles. You could save the articles, and highlight parts of them, even print them out or burn them to a CD.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Maybe it just sounds funny because no company of Apple's kind has done it.

No company of Apple's kind has ever offered an online music store like iTMS before either. Think Different (tm), Apple does.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

I request that Apple adds a dynamic DNS application to 10.3, which in conjunction with your .mac account allows you to access your computer from any other MacOS X computer that has an internet connection and an Apple client application. With the growth of broadband connections with dynamic IP address this would not only make .mac a must have, but would also add one more feature to 10.3 that would make people want to upgrade.

It could be used as a service similar to GoToMyPC. Or like CubeDude said, it could be used to share your iTunes music. Or possibly an iPhoto photo album of your most recent vacation or pictures of the kids.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Your turn...

I want to be able to "Bounce" messages from .Mac Webmail service.

I want FTP access.

I want a bigger iDisk without adding to the cost. 500 MB would be good.

I want three 3 e-mails accounts for each .Mac account.

I want the server to cost only $50 per year.

Dave
  • Reply 16 of 16
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    A server-side spam filter would be cool. If they hooked into every .Mac user's Mail spam list, and then once enough people nominated a sender as a spamer, .Mac would keep it out of your mailbox. They would have to make the list public, and allow people to allow ceartin senders through even if the server filter blocks them. In the long run it would probably save Apple space on their servers, though that's probably not an issue for Apple right now.