new ipod + 6500 + OS 8.6: any hope?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i pretty much have the coolest woman in the world (she even agreed to marry me!) and she bought me a new 15gb ipod for college graduation. honestly, the best gift i have ever received...i didn't think i would be able to spring for one of these for years (going to grad school next year)...anyhow, my mac is a powermac 6500 running OS 8.6 -- is there any way to make the ipod work with this? i know only jaguar and 10.1 are officially supported, i'm hoping for some kind of crazy hack. mind that this is the newest ipod with the latest firmware, etc. I'm doubting there is anyway to do this, and if not, it isn't a big deal, because my fiancee has a new iMac that i can hook up to the iPod.

Please, don't suggest that i upgrade, i can't afford that (though i know i will have to get a firewire card).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Even with a Firewire card, you'll still need OS 9 to run iTunes. Those two alone will set you back roughly $175 or so, and even still there is no guarantee.

Then again, if it's one of the NEW iPods, I'm willing to bet it only works with OS X, but I could be wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    nah itunes works with 8.6 you have to hack it tho...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Can you mount the iPod at least? Maybe if you can mount it, you can drag Mp3s over to the hidden area where all the Mp3s reside. \
  • Reply 4 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Go pick up a cheapo Mac that can run X, for say, $200-300. Hell, for $700 you can buy a nice Pismo laptop.

"Don't tell you to upgrade"? From a 6500 with OS 8.6? Don't you mean: "Don't tell me to move into the year 1998?"

• Reply 5 of 11
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Go pick up a cheapo Mac that can run X, for say, $200-300. Hell, for $700 you can buy a nice Pismo laptop.

"Don't tell you to upgrade"? From a 6500 with OS 8.6? Don't you mean: "Don't tell me to move into the year 1998?"

hahah! 1998 costs like $300! I can either pay rent for a month or have some kind of computer. If i eat bagels and rice for a while and avoid eating out, i can probably save up for one in a few months. maybe a B&W? maybe a beige? je ne sais pas.

mais je sais j'adore mon iPod!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    My laptop is only worth $700

bummer
  • Reply 7 of 11
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Below is the link to patch needed to run iTunes on OS 8.6

It's a free download.

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/downloa...tunesHelp.html

Cheers
  • Reply 8 of 11
    cool, that patch seems pretty straight forward. soooo an iPod will work with the classic version of iTunes? That seems against Apple's "use OS X or be left to rot" strategy
  • Reply 9 of 11
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i pretty much have the coolest woman in the world (she even agreed to marry me!) and she bought me a new 15gb ipod for college graduation. honestly, the best gift i have ever received

I would have thought that her acceptance of your proposal would have been the best gift ever. ;-)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

I would have thought that her acceptance of your proposal would have been the best gift ever. ;-)

how about the best physical thing i have ever received...well, i don't know, you got me!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

cool, that patch seems pretty straight forward. soooo an iPod will work with the classic version of iTunes? That seems against Apple's "use OS X or be left to rot" strategy

Yeah a bit sad..bit of a kick in the teeth for loyal Mac users of yesteryear.

But as much as they rant about OS-X what they don't tell you is that even OS-X has still got big chunks of old Mac programming in them as far back as 68K stuff..so I've heard...

Makes you wonder ?\