GPS options

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi. I'm looking for a GPS receiver that I can interface with my Mac (Powerbook G4 550). I have an interest in downloading maps to the GPS, as well as retrieving data from it. I know that the most popular options (i.e. Magellan) are not directly supported. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jhuafricanist

Hi. I'm looking for a GPS receiver that I can interface with my Mac (Powerbook G4 550). I have an interest in downloading maps to the GPS, as well as retrieving data from it. I know that the most popular options (i.e. Magellan) are not directly supported. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

http://www.macgpspro.com/html/newhtm...macgpspro.html
  • Reply 2 of 4
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    jhuafricanist: Have a look at this older Mac GPS software thread, which I uncovered by searching for the term "GPS". It lists a few good Mac GPS software packages.

So are you going to be using your Mac with GPS to do field research somwhere in Africa? (JHU = Johns Hopkins Univ.; africanist = academic specializing in Africa.)

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks for the feedback.

By the way, you guessed correctly Escher. I am at JHU, and I will be doing field research in Tanzania for my PhD dissertation (on the history of water management practices along Mt. Kilimanjaro) in the upcoming academic year. I am interested in using a GPS to track (and create maps of) man-made water furrows along the mountain.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jhuafricanist

I am interested in using a GPS to track (and create maps of) man-made water furrows along the mountain.

jhuafricanist: Sounds like a fascinating project where technology might be useful. Would you be carrying the PowerBook with you along the furrows (i.e. out in the field)? Or do you plan on bringing the GPS with you during the day and then dowloading the position data into your PowerBook in the evenings when you get back to your (presumably electrified) base?

How are Africa-oriented PhD's at Hopkins? In what department are you completing your dissertation? My wife specializes in West Africa (two M.A.'s from Columbia) and is looking into PhD programs, mainly Georgetown because it's so close. I'm encouraging her spread her applications a bit more widely, at the risk of having to move when she starts in Fall 2004.

Escher