Is it time for a halo mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
First backround info:

Halo car: n. A limited production, semi-exotic, sporty car that shares some similar design with other products from the brand, who's purpous is to be an object of desire so that other products of the company can gain recognition and bask in the reflected glory.

The theory is that someone lusts after the halo car and then goes andbuys another car from the same brand. Jewelery designers have done this for a long time by advertising a product that very few can afford so that prospective customers think about an affordable product from the same company.

So is it time? Should apple come out with a product so cool, innovative, advertised, and EXPENSIVE and limited production, that people will start thinking, "hey that apple they make cool computers", i say yes. It would definatly dispell myths.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Well, they tried it with the Cube. It was given high marks for design, and garnered oohs and aahs. It was a pet project of SJ's and had that "snob appeal" that says, "you must have me". It didn't sell however.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Aren't most of the current Macs already "halo" Macs by your definition?

* "semi-exotic" style? Check. Compare to the typical PC box.

* "limited production"? Check. At least, you have to wait for weeks or months when a product is announced until it is finally shipped in quantity.

* "EXPENSIVE" ? Check. Cue Matsu.

Apple has tried this before. Anyone else remember the TAM? Oh my god. It was practically a piece or art and it cost just as much too. It failed miserably. Anyone else remember that stupid US$10,000 price point? It came with a guy in a tux in a limo to deviver it as well. Uh, what?

And then there's the Cube fiasco...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Well, they tried it with the Cube. It was given high marks for design, and garnered oohs and aahs. It was a pet project of SJ's and had that "snob appeal" that says, "you must have me". It didn't sell however.

Nah, the Cube wasn't that glamorous.

The Twentieth Anniversary Mac is closer to the mark, and, come to think of it, that didn't sell.

I don't believe that people think of personal computers in the same terms. Cars have always had a glamor component, which is how you end up with yutzes in California buying the most stripped-down version of the most upscale BMW they can afford. Apple has been almost unique in offering computers with any glamor, and they've learned that people aren't willing to pay much to get it. Maybe the portable market will be a little different, since those are publicly visible (as cars are), but sofar even the TiBooks have been priced competitively.