12 vs15 inch powerbook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Which is a better computer? Im looking at the 867 G4 version of both. I like the 15 only because im going to be surfing the web, watching dvd's, and doing other college related stuff, and i feel it might be easier on the eyes. Is there a major difference performance wise? Also, is the 15 inche easier to expand as far as memory and hard drive?

thanks,

330zx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    the 15 is easier in that you dont have to throw away 128megs in order to upgrade... but no bt or ae... also worse ap reception then the Al book... you are buying for college?... wait for college...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    The 12" lacks level 3 cache. While the 15" has one meg of it.

on the other hand the 15" still uses SD ram while the 12" uses DDR ram. Humm.... close call...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    College shouldn't start till at least late August. Wait.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Yeah.

WWDC should be the announcement of the new powerbooks, and if not then, then shortly afterward.

the 15 inch is due for a revision.

and arguably the whole line is due for a speed bump.

so waiting is your best bet

since they just lowered the prices, I don't think that they will be raising them, so it will be win/win if you wait.

I'm personally waiting till WWDC at least.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    isemirisemir Posts: 11member
    I am a surgical resident, in my residency i have to edit videos from the surgery that i assist. They record it in the VHS format and i have to digitalize it and i use dazzle, next week i will buy a powerbook and i havent decide if i buy de 12" model or the 15". I would like to hear opinions about it. Beside i have to work a lot in the presentations (i use powerpoint, later i will use keynote)...

please recomend me....
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Wait until after WWDC or you will kill youself after the new aluminum 15" comes out.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What Clayton said...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    The 15" Ti will be much faster for video editing, because of the extra MHz, and more importantly, the L3 cache. The DDR RAM doesn't have much performance impact because it can't communicate with the CPU any faster (both have G4s with the same speed FSB).

I'd go for the Ti, or if you can wait, there is a new 15" Powerbook due for introduction any day now. Some say the new Powerbook will use a PPC970, but even if it doesn't, it will be a nice improvement over the current Powerbook.

If you need it now, then buy--the Ti is an awesome laptop and you won't regret it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The L3, the L3, OMG the L3. Pit a 867 PB12 against the 867 Ti15 and the numbers come out very close, between 5-10% difference in timed tests. L3 helps, but it doesn't transform a machine the way some here imply. The GHz Ti, though does quite a bit better than the PB12, but I suspect that's a combination of a faster CPU and better video chipset with double the standard VRAM.

So, to me, it's up in the air now. With the price drops, the Ti is looking good, and you get to hang on to OS9x if you need that sorta thing. Bigger screen is nice too, as is the PC-card slot.

The PB12 is SMALL and lighter, though to me both are managable and sleek, has a better case, and is cheaper (even if you want a DVD-r) with better I/O (Airport EX, and bluetooth)

I'm not too crazy about mobile DVDr right now, TOO SLOW and format crippled, but I could go for a 867 Ti myself. Or, if the mood takes you, get the PB12 to jaunt along between classes and use the extra cash to buy a good monitor for dual display when you get home.

Ah, choices are good, and it's a decent time to be a mac laptop buyer again.