Lost & Found

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Really wierd how the universe works.

Lose a shoe....but find a sock..

Lose notepad...but find pen..

Lose car....but find keys

In consequence I now have cupbaords stuffed with bags of odd socks..boxes of dried up or nearly dead pens & biros, & immense jars filled with keys that once belonged to a part of my life..but that no longer exists...

And yet no matter how many times I chuck all such stuff into the trash...some power in the universe replaces it all.

Does anyone else find their cupboards have become the universal equivilant of Black Holes in that they are a magnet to zillions of pens, keys, toothpicks, pencil sharpeners, old erasers, rubber bands...etc?

While just a mysteriously, things loved and cherished are sucked into an equally powerful Black Holes that only takes away things you really wanted to hold onto...

Is this just an Aquafire phenomena or is this a more universal experience..?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    The hyperspatial connectivity between items is a mysterious fundamental force of the Universe. Twins display this from time to time when they're reunited, living in the same city, with the same education and occupation.

So even if you have only one sock, you must assume that the other sock is on another foot somewhere, walking in a similar mall, sheathed in similar shoes.

The lost notebooks are being written on by doppelgangers of your found biros.

The teeth that your found toothpicks have abandoned now have matching toothpicks of their own.

Once you understand the math behind everything the world's a much simpler place.

Sim-ple.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    go lose your keys and get your car back.

• Reply 3 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

go lose your keys and get your car back.

Just make a duplicate of the key first.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    there is no way to lose two socks...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I toss my unmatched socks back in the basket. That way one of several things will happen; the missing one is found and reunited, another sock is lost and thus making a match again (if you have several pairs of the same sock), both socks get lost.

It's a near perfect system.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I toss my unmatched socks back in the basket. That way one of several things will happen; the missing one is found and reunited, another sock is lost and thus making a match again (if you have several pairs of the same sock), both socks get lost.

It's a near perfect system.

Love it.

It's a bit like that randomness / order thing that our maths teachers tried to impress on us at school ( along with don't buy lottery tickets for the same reasons).

You know where you would be asked to put 10 white marbles into a bag and added5 blue..then were asked what was the minimum number you had to pull out before you got a matching pair ?

Eventually All your sox will match.

Then get married, and beget baby socks...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I lose stuff all the time. I seem to lose my keys about once a month...anywhere from 30 minutes to 5 hours.

And just this past Thursday, I left my FAVORITE hat at my FAVORITE Italian restaurant and tore the place apartment (and my car) looking for it until my friend said "Did you leave it at Provino's?"

And there it was, in their little lost and found box.

• Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I lose stuff all the time. I seem to lose my keys about once a month...anywhere from 30 minutes to 5 hours.

And just this past Thursday, I left my FAVORITE hat at my FAVORITE Italian restaurant and tore the place apartment (and my car) looking for it until my friend said "Did you leave it at Provino's?"

And there it was, in their little lost and found box.

Reminds me how I left my cell phone at a cafe.

Didn't note it was missing till I got home later that evening.

Did the usual mental gymnastics going backwards in my mind to where I remembered seeing it last.

Spent a small fortune in calls. But no luck. When I rang the actual Cafe, they said no one had turned it in..

I really thought my luck was out.

Then I had the brainwave to ring my own cell phone ( Obvious ) First time I got no reply..Second time someone picked it up...And of course it was at the Cafe..Only no one had bothered to check there lost & found section..too busy ..or some excuse..Boy was I glad to get it back.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    I'm actually in the process of writing a short story that deals partly with the loss of significant objects and the idea that they are "stolen" or "borrowed" by ghosts for the power we have placed in them. The working title is Geist.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

I'm actually in the process of writing a short story that deals partly with the loss of significant objects and the idea that they are "stolen" or "borrowed" by ghosts for the power we have placed in them. The working title is Geist.

Sounds intriguing....But ghosts don't steal or borrow...

They just " spirit " things away
  • Reply 11 of 11
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

They just " spirit " things away

originally posted by aquafire