iTunes question...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So,

i record my vinyl records onto computer, i then import them in iTunes as aiff (well they actually aren't getting impoted,i guess iTunes plays the from the location where i recorded them)

I name each track: -artist

-album

-genre

Then i burn an aiff audio disc onto a cd.

Now, when i insert that cd back into my computer, the song information appears in iTunes, but will it appear when i had formatted my hard drive in case of a serious problem?

Is this i3d information or CDDB(not sure of this one)?

Is this information burned onto the cd?

Why I ask is because i used to have a pc where i recorded onto, but the burned discs out of that computer did not contain such information.

Btw I'm using finalscratch so I'm not throwing them onto the internet.

I also make music so I can play my own stuff and off course do not want my buyed or made music to be ripped.

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Moving to Digital Hub, the home of all iLife discussion.

Short answer: iTunes does not burn CD_TEXT. It does, however, remember the tracks of the CDs that it has burned itself. So, only your computer will remember this information. If your computer is reformatted or in use by another user, you will not see this info.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Try backing up all the iTunes files onto another CD. Look in the library folder.

~/Library
  • Reply 3 of 7
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    Sorry about that wrong forum...

So there must be a folder or a file on my harddrive that contains this information?

Which i can backup.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Ok I found it,

I got 3 library's actually, I guess that's for different users.

Thanks a lot.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Here's a trick you could try.

- Burn the vinyl tracks to cd.

- Insert disc you created.

- Enter all ID3 info.

- Submit the info to CDDB (I'm not at my Mac now so I can't remember the exact menu to select)

- If successful you can then play this CD on any computer with access to CDDB and access all track info!

Try it and see if it works. I'm dying to know since I have a stack of vinyl to get into iTunes at some point.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I guess u mean the 'i3d convert' option in advanced menu.

Well I couldn't select it, probably because i3d is for mp3's, and I like to burn my file as an aiff.

The recording also is aiff so it would be stupid to convert them first to mp3 and then burn as aiff because quality already would be lost.

I believe it is better to backup the 'iTunes Music Library' database file. It just seems handier.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    You don't have to convert them to mp3s to do this (unless I am savagely mistaken - not impossible). Burn your .aiff files to CD then reinsert the CD. You can enter track info as if you were going to rip them and then submit to CDDB. This would at least provide a somewhat permanent record of all track information for that particular CD. I know that I have done the "submit to CDDB" thing for some of my more obscure CD's which had no entry in CDDB yet. I also recall having done this before ripping so that my id3's would be complete when I did decide to rip.