Favorite local sandwich?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I just finished lunch....and I cant help but wonder how bad my life would be food wise if it werent for the Philly Cheese Steak (namely, the chicken cheese steak variety). I have honestly never had a bad one, ever, since I first had one the first year I was in college.

I was wondering, what is everybody's favorite local sandwich... To give another example: in Charleston, SC (my home town) there is a BBQ joint that makes the best chopped chicken sandwich ever, that coupled with the bear battered onion rings makes the restaurant a constant place of visit when I go home...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    For me, its doing to have to be the ruben, as served at Katz's Kosher Deli on Houston and Allen streets in Manhattan (the 2nd Avenue Deli gets an honorable mention for best corned beef, but Katz's put crack or something in the rye).

So good. Soooooo gooooood.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i don't eat wheat. so lately my favorite is corn flour taco filled with beans (not from can), rice, peppers, some sort of tabasco etc, and no onions. so something fusion-mexican i guess.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    I've only been to Italian places that make this sandwich: Giardino's-an old pizzeria (out of business) in Chestertown, MD--and Coppola's, a great Italian deli not far from where I live now in Richmond.

Ingredients:

Sub roll

Prosciutto ham

Fresh mozzarella

Red pepper hulls

Oil and vinegar

There is no ingredient six.

Anyway, I'm sure any Italian deli worth its salt can make it but, man, is it good.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Veal Sandwich from SanFranseco's on Clinton Street in Little Italy, Toronto. The owner will also force a tub of free olives on you. I wouldn't dare refuse him even though I hate olives more than children-and I really hate children.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    There's a small resturant out in the industrial park here where I live called "Awesome Bay Cafe." They have the best tuna-avacado sandwich I have ever had.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    the cuban sandwich at HAVANA'S in west palm beach. it has ham, lechón asado (roasted cuban pork) swiss, and dill pickles. i always get a side of croqueta preparado, which are to die for.

i've had cuban sandwiches many places, but this is my favorite.

many love the italian beef sandwich here in chicago, whenever someone comes to visit we go to PORTILLO'S for one. i'm not wild about them but everyone wants to go back.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I guess I have to pick the Chicago Dog.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    On this side of the bay: Sam's Salami and Cheese with everything + garlic spread. Sam's Italian Sandwich Co.

On the other side of the bay: Any sandwich at Cheese 'n' Stuff.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    "Plutselig" in Akersgata has some of Oslos best lunch-sandwiches.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

On this side of the bay: Sam's Salami and Cheese with everything + garlic spread. Sam's Italian Sandwich Co.

On the other side of the bay: Any sandwich at Cheese 'n' Stuff.

So you like.... cheese?
  • Reply 11 of 40
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    This deli called Rainbow Deli across the street from my house, makes the best roast beef subs I've ever had.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Another Chicago favorite is the pork chop sandwich. The odd thing about it is that the bone is still in the chop. You have to bite around it Never had one myself.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    There's this vegan/vegetarian restaurant I go to, and they make this black bean burger that is delicious. The place is cheaper than Denny's too, which is really good for that kind of food.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

many love the italian beef sandwich here in chicago, whenever someone comes to visit we go to PORTILLO'S for one. i'm not wild about them but everyone wants to go back.

Might I suggest Johnny's Beef on North Ave in Elmwood Park? Their sausage is probably better than the beef.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Another Chicago favorite is the pork chop sandwich. The odd thing about it is that the bone is still in the chop. You have to bite around it Never had one myself.

i've had a thousand "pork chop sandwiches" (mmm......pork) and never had one with a bone in it. (sounds like a lawsuit to me) the way i've had it, and made it, for that matter, is to cut away the tenderloin from the bone, butterfly it, and grill it spread open. the seam in the butterfly makes it appear to have a bone.

it's more of a rural thing, all your county fairs, and carnivals have them. the best i've ever had was at the john deere classic golf tournament.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Buffalo Chicken Hero from Cherry Valley in Whitestone, NY
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Might I suggest Johnny's Beef on North Ave in Elmwood Park? Their sausage is probably better than the beef.

you may, and i will get to it, do they make one with the sausage in the beef sandwich? (i can HEAR my arteries hardening) i like buona too, and fabulously divey pete's on roosevelt and ridgeland, with all the faded celebrities photos above the grill.

and when talking about sandwiches in chicago we would be remiss not to bring up the "billy goat tavern".

"cheese boogie, cheese boogie, duble cheese boogie!"
  • Reply 18 of 40
    In Pittsburgh: Primanti Brothers.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i've had a thousand "pork chop sandwiches" (mmm......pork) and never had one with a bone in it. (sounds like a lawsuit to me) the way i've had it, and made it, for that matter, is to cut away the tenderloin from the bone, butterfly it, and grill it spread open. the seam in the butterfly makes it appear to have a bone.

it's more of a rural thing, all your county fairs, and carnivals have them. the best i've ever had was at the john deere classic golf tournament.

Well you aint had no South Side pork chop sandwich then. Place by UIC used to sell them. Friend of mine said they were good.

I bet you're a Cubs fan too.

Maybe it looks like this?

Pork Chop Sandich
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Well you aint had no South Side pork chop sandwich then. Place by UIC used to sell them. Friend of mine said they were good.

I bet you're a Cubs fan too.

i really need to know the name of this place! i want to see how they do it.

i support ALL chicago sports teams, (i never understood the one or the other thing) however i don't frequent wrigley field any more for a variety of reasons, (i used to live in lakeview, that'll do it) including the one you mentioned in the sosa thread.

in spite of all the on field trouble the sox seem to get, i find comiskey, oops i mean "the cell" to be much more family friendly. i don't like my boys inhaling drunken traders cigar smoke for nine innings. we probably will go to 10 games at "u.s.cellular field" this year.

the brats are good at the cell. (to keep on topic)