Digital Camera 3mp or 4mp?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm thinking about buying my first digital camera, and trying to decide if I should get a 4 megapixel or if I will be happy with the more affordable 3 mp camera.

I plan on using it for putting pictures on the web and emailing. Printing out to glossy, 5x7 or maybe a little bigger. And making some videos with it. And I really want one that is very small.

I've been looking at the Canons either the S45, or the S400, as for 3mp cameras I haven't done as much research.

I would love if someone would post some pictures with either of these cameras or of photos with a 4mp and a 3mp at large sizes, or at normal sizes and then showing the ability to zoom in on them and keeping the quality good.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    What's your budget? That will help in recommending cameras.

Other than that, I do not reccomend Olympus's Camedia line. I have one, and it sucks for many reasons. For one, the media cards keep getting corrupted, and very clunky and feals uncomfortable in the hand.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    lolololo Posts: 87member
    The Canon S45 is great. Very good image quality and battery life, compact, great movie mode. Highly recommended.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    look at the nikon coolpix series
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Another vote for the S45. I spent weeks researching cameras before I made a decision, and this is simply the best combination of features, image quality, and size.

As for sample photos, check out Steve's Digicams. He includes sample photos with all reviews, and tends to use the same subjects, enabling you to compare cameras and resolutions.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I'm on my 3rd digital camera. I've had a toshiba 3MP, still have Sony U-10 1.3MP, and an Olympus 5MP 5050. I love the size of the Toshiba (similar to the canon S230) but the battery was barely an hour. It was a proprietary battery which means its expensive. The Sony is super tiny and goes with me everywhere. Even at the highest resolution on the Sony is overkill for the web. i have made some nice 4 X 6 prints with it as well. Battery kicks but. I easily get about 300 shots before recharging the 2 AAAs. The Olympus camera simply rocks. It has complete control and Manual settings for everything. The batteries are 4 Double AAs. Most new cameras because of there size have proprietary batteries. At first I thought having AAs would be cumbersome, but in fact it has worked out much better. You can never have enough rechargeable batteries. I'm always prepared with spares, and if your really stuck in the middle of nowhere, you can always buy some. So I would advise you to look at how and where you want to use the camera, rather than what MP it is.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    If you're just using it for web/email and a few prints I don't think it would be worth the extra cash for a 4 MP. I use a Canon Powershot A40 (2 MP) and it's more than enough for 5x7 prints so a 3 MP camera should do fine. I don't know about the rest of the Canon line but the battery life on my A40 is freakishly good.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    boba fett, the usefulness of alkaline AA batteries in today's digital cameras is highly exaggerated. 4 AA alkalines will only be able to power my camera for about 15 everyday shots, and my camera is highly economical on power.

--

As for whether to go 3 or 4 megapixel, the choice is yours. 3 megapixels is plenty of resolution for 8x10s and 5x7s. My sister gets some of her photos blown up to 8x10 and they look very good in general. She uses a 2 mp Canon S330.

--

As for the Nikons...if you stick with the upper end Nikon stuff like the 4500, 5400 and 5700, you'll be fine The lower end Nikon stuff suffers from poor construction and cost shortcuts...more plastic on the body...plastic gears for the zoom mechanisms...

I personally love the Canon cameras for their style, image quality, build quality, etc.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    I got my first digital camera last month for my birthday, a Fuji FinePix 3800. 3.2 megapixels. Max image size is 2048x1532 pixels. There are several different exposure settings (night, sports, portrait, etc.) as well as several different corresponding flash settings. Manual options are available too--manual adjustment of shutter speed, flash timing, white balance, etc. It also records video. I can get about a minute of very clear 320x240 video and kind of low-fi sound on the memory card that shipped with the camera, and twice that on the double-sized card the salesman threw in for free.

Here's two 640x480 examples of shots I've taken with the camera:

Example 1

Example 2
  • Reply 9 of 15
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Eugene

[B]boba fett, the usefulness of alkaline AA batteries in today's digital cameras is highly exaggerated. 4 AA alkalines will only be able to power my camera for about 15 everyday shots, and my camera is highly economical on power.

I agree. I only suggested using alkalines for an emergency. I personally use 2200 mAh Powerex NiMH batteries and they are very powerful. I'm simply saying that if having longer lasting power is a concern, then I would stay away from cameras with proprietary batteries. If size is more of a concern, then you have little choice in cameras. If you are going to by a camera with this type of battery, and plan to buy a spare as well, then find out if you are able to at least charge the extra battery without the camera.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Hey, if we're going to show off photos...

Taken with Olympus 5050:

http://homepage.mac.com/bgundu/PhotoAlbum33.html

http://homepage.mac.com/bgundu/Nicar...toAlbum45.html

taken with my tiny Cybershot U-10

http://homepage.mac.com/bgundu/PhotoAlbum29.html
  • Reply 11 of 15
    bryan.furybryan.fury Posts: 164member
    you'll find all the info you need about digital cameras here .
  • Reply 12 of 15
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    just got a sony cybershot p10 -- 5mp for an extra 20 quid over the lower model...

its very nice!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    I'm really happy with my Fuji A303. Small, compact, AA batteries (I bought rechargables and a charger)-- get lots of pics on one charge. Easy to use, many features and 3.2 mp all the way down to well under 1 mp for internet. Great price, too. Good luck, whatever you choose!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    330zx330zx Posts: 27member
    Tried out tons of digital cameras...and proceeded to purchase the minolta dimage f100. Better image quality than the cannons. That would be my suggestion.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    zadakzadak Posts: 50member
    3 is just enough for everyday use. you dont use more than 2 anyway because you memory card will be full so quick if you use 3+