How good is EyeTV anyway?

newnew
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How good?

Why is this thing not firewire/USB2?

Fullscreen viewing on a 20" Cinema display. Is it even worth it?

I have an old Formac Studio. is it still better?

thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    I have EyeTV and I like it except it has one big fault (& I mean big).

There is no "always on top" mode so if I'm on a web page I can't have EyeTV floating over the page.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Why does it use MPEG-1 instead of MPEG-4? That would probably get much better quality even if it does stay USB instead of FireWire.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

I have EyeTV and I like it except it has one big fault (& I mean big).

There is no "always on top" mode so if I'm on a web page I can't have EyeTV floating over the page.

how good is fullscreen mode compared to a real tv?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

how good is fullscreen mode compared to a real tv?

TV is broadcasted at 640x red so if yer monitor is set to anything above your going to grain in full screen unless you set yer res down to 640x every time you want full screen.

I havent tried eyetv but ive had a few usb recievers before and you do get a sound lag through usb.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I got EyeTV shortly after I got my iBook and I think it's awesome. It was one of the deciding factors for me getting a Mac in the first place. The picture quality is great and the sound is pretty good as well. I watch it on full screen mode on my 15" flat screen monitor and it looks pretty good. Playing recorded shows back on a regular TV provided me with surprising results. Most of my friends didn't even realize they were watching the eyeTV recording but just thought it was live TV. The big problem of it not always being on top, I've never found to be a problem. In fact, I like that it can get buried and I can just listen to TV while I'm busy doing other things. Then if I hear something good, I can click on the window and bring it to the front. The feature I enjoy the best is its integration with Watson. I surf through Watson's TV listings, find what I like and click on the record button which is linked to the eyeTV software and it records my shows for later viewing. Something else I've found I can do is play a dvd on my ibook, send the signal out through the AV cables as though I was going to view it on my tv, but then hook it into the eyeTV. Then I hit record on eyeTV and record a new movie which I can store on my hard drive. It's not the greatest quality in the world, but it's a fun extra. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. It's so choice.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Would it be possible for them to update EyeTV to use MPEG-4 instead of MPEG-1?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    According to an email I got from El Gato last week, it appears that a new EyeTV is in the works. The email was vague, and no date was mentioned. This should be cool. They've made enough money off of EyeTV v1 to design their own hardware this time around.

My EyeTV serves it's purpose, casual TV watching & recording of shows when I'm away or sleeping. I think it's great.

Oh, EyeTV is based on a hardware MPEG1 convertor. That's why it's not MPEG 4/2/or anything else.

My only gripe is that it's arduous to get MPEG1 streams in to iDVD. The email mentioned that the new EyeTV would address this issue, as well as image quality.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    mind posting a transcript?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Vague eh...no mention of either MPEG-4 or FireWire? Maybe they're waiting for FireWire 2...

Oh wait it's already out!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:

Thank you for contacting El Gato Customer Support.

El Gato is actively investigating new technology that would allow EyeTV to record shows with better quality and higher resolution. This technology may result in new products in the future.

This will probably include easier ways to import recordings into iMovie. At the moment though, there is no official time line regarding the release of such a product.

See...vague...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    The MPEG-4 idea seems great and all, but wouldn't this impair the ability to easily create VCD's? I'd personally like for them to upgrade the EyeTV with Firewire and DV encoding, while still allowing MPEG-1 encoding for those who want to archive their shows with smaller file sizes, or for those don't have a Superdrive or other DVD burner.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Who cares? Use your computer to play the CD. Besides I'm sure DVD sets will be update for MPEG-4. MPEG-1 quality is nasty.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Who cares? Use your computer to play the CD.

No.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Thanks for the information Gordy. I was looking to get EyeTV in July or August. Now I going to have that feeling that I soon as I buy one, Bam a new version will come out.