Anyone know much about Lotus Notes

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This seems to be a very popular PC program. Some of the corporations I work with use this extensively.

Don't know much about it, but it seems like a full featured e-mail/contacts program.

Anyone else shed some light on this...is it worth getting it for the Mac?

I believe there is a version for MacOSX.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Lotus Notes is an old, highly configurable program that can do email/scheduling, and which can be scripted to do far more sophisticated things than that. It's one of those programs that few people have a lukewarm opinion about. Apple apparently uses (or used) it in a number of places on their website. I know a former Lotus employee who got it working under WINE(!) but I've never used it myself.

There is a version for OS X, which is good news for Apple's foray into enterprise.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    I use it every day and as Amorph said it's highly customisable. We use it for Email, Scheduling, all kinds of documentation, even discussion forum. Thumbs up, it's stable too and easy to use
  • Reply 3 of 10
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    I'm an Domino (lotus notes' server) admin.

We have it running on 2 clustered as/400s and it's amazing.

You can use it for ANYTHING you dream of :-)

e-mail, not only as a client, but as a server, LDAP, webhosting/creating web pages, java, databases, workflow, and a lots of other things.

I have to run now, but will write more on the subject once i got home.

-------------------------------

Ok here's how it works

You have 2 choices, it can be used as standalone app or with a domino server.

Standalone app will give you mail client, notes, calendars, etc, but basically its targeted at single users.

If you have a bunch of people (say from 15 to tens of thousands) they need to exchange information, colaborate, comunicate, etc.., here's where Domino server comes in. It can run os linux, windows ,aix, etc.. (no mac os x server, and that would be sooo good with xserve and xRAID).

Domino can scale up from single cpu machine into clusters of high end servers with multiple cpus, tetrabytes of storage.

Domino server is an integrated sollution, you run 'tasks' on it and this may include: mail server, http server, web server, LDAP server, fax server, and many more task which are more related to collaboration, and exchange of information between clients.

Domino server can be accessed either through Lotus Notes clients, or web clients (browser).

When you configure Domino server, you create users, set up security, configure mail policies, domains, etc. In other words you have ONE system to manage which does everything.

There's also a piece of software called Designer, it allows you to create databases which are then stored on Domino server and can be accessed by clients.

Let me tell you how it is used where i work.

We have ERP (enterprise resource planning) system, it takes care of customer order processing, accounting, inventory, and all that boring stuff. It sucks.

For example you can process orders, but there are no places to enter comments, conversations with clients, file attachments etc..

So let's say someone faxes or e-mails us an order, it goes through Domino, as it acts as both e-mail and electronic fax server.

Then record is created in 'order database' and all files which were sent in e-mail, or faxes are linked. Then it follows a pre-defined route through many departments, working 'together' with erp system.

You are left with a record which contains every single information about your client, their order, all client-customer service rep communication, scheduling, errors, everything. As a last step any paperwork gets scanned and automatically attached to appropriate records.

So on one server you have your e-mails, faxes, all records, schedules, digitized paperwork, all backed up daily to a tapes, easy to restore in case of diseaster. One system to manage, stable and scalable solution.

it can do miracles :-)

IMHO it is one of the best software suites out there, many people do not like it too much as it may seem a bit complex at the beginning, but once you realize its potential there is no end to its uses.

It is used in governments, because of its security and stability, financial institutions all over the world, midium to large corporations, or just in small departments or shops.

It's super interesting to work with, as you can create whatever you want, integrate it with almost anything, and manage it all with ease. It's truly amazing software.

And no i do not work for IBM, or sell it, i just like it so much.

HTH,
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

I'm an Domino (lotus notes' server) admin.

We have it running on 2 clustered as/400s and it's amazing.

You can use it for ANYTHING you dream of :-)

e-mail, not only as a client, but as a server, LDAP, webhosting/creating web pages, java, databases, workflow, and a lots of other things.

I have to run now, but will write more on the subject once i got home.

-------------------------------

Looking for a bit of free advice here...

I use Lotus Notes at my office on a Windows NT client and would like to get it up an running on my Mac's at home (where I am using and thoroughly enjoying OS X!). I can connect to the office server on my IBM laptop without any difficulty.

Now for the question: I have downloaded the LoNo software for OS X and installed it, but need assistance on the configuration. Is there a config file I can simply copy from the IBM laptop to the Mac or is it more complicated??
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by McCrab

Looking for a bit of free advice here...

I use Lotus Notes at my office on a Windows NT client and would like to get it up an running on my Mac's at home (where I am using and thoroughly enjoying OS X!). I can connect to the office server on my IBM laptop without any difficulty.

Now for the question: I have downloaded the LoNo software for OS X and installed it, but need assistance on the configuration. Is there a config file I can simply copy from the IBM laptop to the Mac or is it more complicated??

How do you connect from NT box?

Do you use VPN or are you dialing the server directly?

There are many options, another one may be hitting some sort of public server at your place and it can be forwarding traffic to domino server.

You need to know this before you establish connection.

First time you launch it it will go through configuration wizard, if you screwed up :-), and need to re-run it, just go to Notes--->Preferences--->Client reconfiguration Wizard.

HTH
  • Reply 6 of 10
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Ok here's how it works

Thanks for the very informative post!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

How do you connect from NT box?

Do you use VPN or are you dialing the server directly?

There are many options, another one may be hitting some sort of public server at your place and it can be forwarding traffic to domino server.

You need to know this before you establish connection.

First time you launch it it will go through configuration wizard, if you screwed up :-), and need to re-run it, just go to Notes--->Preferences--->Client reconfiguration Wizard.

HTH

I think it is a VPN (they recently gave us an iPass) - I can connect using my regular broadband connection at home.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    If you guys are using VPN, then it's no different as connecting from within your office.

All you do is:

1. Connect through VPN.

2. Run Client configuration wizard.

3. Enter Domino's server name AND IP ADDRESS.

that's it.

You need to have it's IP address.

• Reply 9 of 10
    Really appreciate your help with this - thanks
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by McCrab

Really appreciate your help with this - thanks

NP, ask if u have more questions