Zire 71- opinions, anyone?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I stoped in Staples the other day, and, as always, I drifted towards the PDAs instead of the stationary isle. I picked up the Zire 71, and started playing around with it. The screen looks stunning, the little 'stylus joystick' works very well, and the camera, while gimmicky and lo-res, seems useful. I'm thinking of trading in my old Palm to get fifty dollars off the Zire, and the Zire 71 seems to be the most well-priced and funcional PDA that I have seen. Has anyone bought one? And should I buy one? Give me all your testimonials of how the Zire 'worked for you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    this palm seems worth it. the zire 71 is one of the few pdas that actually caught my attention from palm. when i briefly got to play with one in the store, i was really impressed with the screen. that blew me away. looks like a good feature set, esp. for palm. i would say get this one. unless you need other features not found in this model like wi-fi.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Why does an organizer cost more than $49? And one with multimedia and a phone over $99? I can't believe Palms are still so expensive. The original Zire looked REAL nice esp when I had an iBook that would match it. But then I though about it: $100 to replace writing on my hand or a piece of scrap is just a waste. I have a digital camera and a laptop. I think the current trend is to put lots of stuff into a PDA. That's nice, but it makes the price ridiculous. If I want that kind of thing I bring my PowerBook 12" and my camera. A Color Zire (the original) with a little better price, say $59, and color and more RAM would be sweet, I'd buy one. Cameras in PDAs are dumb since it makes the PDA cost as much as a REAL camera. IMO a Zire and a real camera would probably be much better for the same money.

Now....if the iPod had a color screen, PDA functions/input, that would be different. No included camera, you hook it up to a DV cam or digicam, also has line in. The storage capacity would make it a whole different kind of product (that I would buy and then be poor curse you Apple!) The idea of a Media Pod that plugs into TVs, digital cameras and camcorders, and audio is cool. The iPod just needs some ports, input method, color screen, and OS update. Not too much to add.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I have to say that the color screen is one of its main selling points. I like how in Palm OS 5, you can change the color theme. Having a bright, colorful display gives me motivation.

And let's not turn this into a 'I wish the iPod whitens my teeth as I sleep' thread.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

And let's not turn this into a 'I wish the iPod whitens my teeth as I sleep' thread.

But Crest WhiteStrips does that already...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I agree with Aquatic. I bought a used Visor Delux from a friend for $40. All I could ask for is smaller and brighter screen. I don't need a swiss army PDA.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Therefore the iPod should have a built-in holder for Crest Whitestrips....
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member

re: Magic iPod with Crest White Strips, that make your whites whiter and brights brighter I asked for it. Oops my bad!

Sounds nice Scoot, think I'll canvass my friends.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I said to AVOID dental iPod discussion!