Power Mac won't start up!!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I tried to install a memory upgrade for my PowerMac G4 867 mHz. When I put the new memory in, the computer failed to start up. The power light would come on for about a second and the computer sounded like it was starting up, but then everything shuts down. I don't even hear the startup tone. So I took the new memory out and replaced it with the old memory. Same thing happens. I have already reset the PMU switch and removed to logic board battery, but I am still having the same problem. Any suggestions? Help is GREATLY appreciated because I need to get this thing fixed....

Thanks,

Brandon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by SteinKoBe88

I tried to install a memory upgrade for my PowerMac G4 867 mHz. When I put the new memory in, the computer failed to start up. The power light would come on for about a second and the computer sounded like it was starting up, but then everything shuts down. I don't even hear the startup tone. So I took the new memory out and replaced it with the old memory. Same thing happens. I have already reset the PMU switch and removed to logic board battery, but I am still having the same problem. Any suggestions? Help is GREATLY appreciated because I need to get this thing fixed....

Thanks,

Brandon

Did you press the CUDA(Unless that is what you ment by PMU switch) button next to the battery? I guess you already double-checked to see the memory wasinserted completly into the slot(that gets me alot of times). Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Ignore (Have you reset the PRAM (cmd-option-p-r).)

Edit. Ignore this post. I realised that the machine shuts down.

Reseat the memory modules and try again.

also try the apple hardware test cd.

Dobby.