Clean install Safari ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
How does one go about totally removing and re-installing Safari? I'm talking here about certain beta builds that might have -ahem- got accidentally installed on my computer . The ones that came in an installer .pkg instead of just a disk image...

I need to remove all trace of it because even re-installing the 'proper' beta build doesn't work any more - I can't even get Safari to show an empty window.

No - I can't re-run the installer, it say's this machine is invalid and won't let me proceed. Logging out and restarting have no effect. Tried deleting /System/Librar/Webthingumy too....

Please help !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    This might help,

Do a search from finder on safari,

I got this back:

com.apple.Safai.plist in my homefolder /library/preferences

Safari in /library/Caches

Safari in /Libarary

Try deleting the safari listings in those folders or the folders your search comes up with. And empty you internet cache before trying to re-install.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    I did read somewhere that you might have to reinstall 10.2.6
  • Reply 3 of 12
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

I did read somewhere that you might have to reinstall 10.2.6

I think this is likely.

I did some investigating in the system log and it seems that the problem is because there are two versions of WebFoundation - the one within the older version of Safari that I'm now trying to use, and one within the main system Foundation framework that's been installed by the newer Safari build.

The OS is trying to use the version that's in System, instead of the older version within the application package - and presumably it's incompatible, which leaves me with a non-functional browser.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    oh just use OW until the final version comes out on monday
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Reformat. Reinstall.

That's what you get for installing pirated software and not at least checking the contents that it's installing first.

Or you could use OmniWeb 4.5 Beta until Safari 1.0 is released RSN.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I think that if you can get someone's webcore framework and install that you should be fine. Of course, as long as that person didn't install the v80 beta that's been going around.

edit: maybe it's the 'webkit.framework' you want. I dunno. I'll check around and see.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    This is supposedly from macfixit on this issue (I say supposedly because I got it from a third party... yahoo!'s aapl boards), so take it for what it's worth.

Quote:

UPDATE: Uninstall process The following process should work for reverting to Safari v74 if you installed the unauthorized v80 release:

Login as the root user

Trash Safari and the WebKit.framework (use the Find function to locate it)

Copy the Foundation.framework (again, use the Find function) from another Mac.

Re-apply the Mac OS X 10.2.6 combo update.

Reboot, reset your preferences and reinstall Safari 74

You don't need to log in as root to do this. You could do it from the CLI by using sudo instead.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    Thanks - that was pretty much what I'd figured out I needed to do.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gee4orce

How does one go about totally removing and re-installing Safari? I'm talking here about certain beta builds that might have -ahem- got accidentally installed on my computer . The ones that came in an installer .pkg instead of just a disk image...

I need to remove all trace of it because even re-installing the 'proper' beta build doesn't work any more - I can't even get Safari to show an empty window.

No - I can't re-run the installer, it say's this machine is invalid and won't let me proceed. Logging out and restarting have no effect. Tried deleting /System/Librar/Webthingumy too....

Please help !

Finder/services/finder/reveal/search

Choose search everywhere

File name contains "safari"

search

Delete the lot.

redownload.8)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Efalumpsandwoozles

Finder/services/finder/reveal/search

Choose search everywhere

File name contains "safari"

search

Delete the lot.

redownload.8)

Sorry, charlie. It's not that easy with the version we're talking about. It should be, but it isn't.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    presing the apple key with the F key is lot quicker.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ad6ubad6ub Posts: 4member
    Take Look