Browser usage stats

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
It would be very cool if AppleInsider had a page with the latest browser access statistics. I would be very interested in how many people are using different web browsers.

Or, if that is too much trouble to set up, it would be nice if the admins posted every so often the stats. Like now.

Barto

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    That would be nice but I don't believe vBulletin tracks this sort of thing.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

That would be nice but I don't believe vBulletin tracks this sort of thing.

That's kind of a... bummer...
  • Reply 3 of 19
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    how many people registered today? i keep seeing people under 10 posts, guess all these new powermac pics are attracting alot of members
  • Reply 4 of 19
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    we were under 9000 as of yesterday I believe... and possibly as low as 8700... I don't remember exactly. but there has been a big influx in the past week

kudos to Kasper for getting the front page up and running. AI has been mentioned on AtAT like 4 times and it seems like every 10th "news" story about WWDC links to us
  • Reply 5 of 19
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Brad turned off browsing for guests 'cause the server was getting killed. in a hour or two there were 270 new users.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    almost at 9600 now...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    What machine is hosting these boards and how fast is the link to the internet ie howmuch bandwidth is available?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I'm not sure on our specifics, but the bottleneck comes in the form of server load and not bandwidth. Some may wish to argue this, but PHP is hardly something you would use to deploy an enterprise level application with. When AI is getting hammered the way it does around these times, it is obvious.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I wonder if there is a mod to vB that will add features like browser stats and such?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    I`ll see if I can write one. Wont be to hard to just add a field into This page that shows what browser they are using.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Why not just add the code from http://www.freeinvisiblecounters.com/ somewhere on the main page? I know it isn´t the most beautiful solution but it would work I guess.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    It would just be easier to write my own code. I just have to find the source for vb so I can find out what the mysql tables are called and what not and find out what the source looks like in the who is online page and then just add my code there.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I run many VB based bulletin boards as well as numerous high profile PHP-based websites. These kinds of stats are not part of VBulletin proper, however they could easily be obtained in one of two ways:

* Adding custom PHP code to the message board using the VB Styles. We use this area to secure our message boards and tie them in to our user management system, but logging could easily be performed here.

* More easily, analyze your web server logs by using an analysis program like Webalizer. We use webalizer to calculate a number of statistics on a number of websites and message boards, including visitor browser choice and platform.

The key here is, if AI obtainted these stats (assuming they don't already), would they share that information with us? More likey they'd share that with advertisers.

Just my 2¢

EDIT: Fixed Spelling
  • Reply 14 of 19
    jay1jay1 Posts: 22member
    Well do you rilly wona know what this server and macnn are hosted on? you will all hate this. last time i talked to nick it was un a dual P3 800 with 2 gb ram and a 100 gig maxtor drive. mabey it changed i dono. also to the apple insider staff stop deleating my accounts
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Are you "jaydog"?

If so, I just checked and your account has not been deleted. Did you just forget your password?

I would advise you to contact an administrator rather than venting your frustration in the Suggestions forum.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jay1

Well do you rilly wona know what this server and macnn are hosted on? you will all hate this. last time i talked to nick it was un a dual P3 800 with 2 gb ram and a 100 gig maxtor drive. mabey it changed i dono. also to the apple insider staff stop deleating my accounts

i'm pretty sure it's on dual xeons now
  • Reply 17 of 19
    jay1jay1 Posts: 22member
    xons ant bad tho a xserve would be beter.

and ya this is jaydog i have that info on another mac of my on OC3 right now. but over the past fue years i have had diff accounts here from diff places deleated. btw how much you pay a month for the servers .

O ya good to see you admins are still around not like a while back when it looked like you all disapered
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Would an Xserve be better only because it is an Apple based solution?

From a priceerformance perspective in regards to the needs of AI, running on intel/amd iron and slapping linux on it makes a heck of a lot of sense to me.

Now the way storage is being handled is something I would complain about. Redundancy all the way.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

It would be very cool if AppleInsider had a page with the latest browser access statistics. I would be very interested in how many people are using different web browsers.

If your interest is general (i.e. not AI-specific), I think these may shed a little light:

HyperJeff's Browser Usage Pie Chart and Month Report. Impressive, I should say. Goodbye, Internet Explorer!