Arrgghh hard drives have turned to POS

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
man I just bought this western digital drive about a month ago... now it just broke a few seconds ago on my pc... man whats up with components lately, they just seem to not last like they used too.

So now I'm on hold for about 30 mins now so far... this really sux

anyways don't buy western digital if given the opportunity this is the 3rd time this has happened to me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Call the company and give them the serial number---they'll send you a new one.

• Reply 2 of 3
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Just did that, but thanks ena for the advice you're an angel

anywho since I know windows not real well, is there a way to move all the data from one drive to another, kind of like in mac you know. See I have those old drive with a working install of XP on it and some of my old programs especially all my accounting crap and I was wondering if I could just hook the 2 up and transfer all the data onto the fixed one when I get it back? is that possible?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

Just did that, but thanks ena for the advice you're an angel

anywho since I know windows not real well, is there a way to move all the data from one drive to another, kind of like in mac you know. See I have those old drive with a working install of XP on it and some of my old programs especially all my accounting crap and I was wondering if I could just hook the 2 up and transfer all the data onto the fixed one when I get it back? is that possible?

There is a program called Partition Magic, made by Powerquest---it will let you boot from a floppy and "nuke the site form orbit."

I usually get the PCs where I want them and then take another drive and copy the working partition to it. Then when (not if) the system goes down, you can just put another drive in the unit and copy that work partition back on---it's great.