Recovering Original data from iDVD?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is it possible to decode a movie burned onto a disc with iDVD? I am currently working on a large home movie project to digitize all our home movies and put them on DVD. The thing is, I want to have the original DV stream in case I ever want to go back and do something new, like take scenes from different DVDs and make a compilation DVD.

As I began this project, though, I discovered that a DV stream takes up HUGE amounts of space (like 2 gigs for less than 10 min!!). Both my hard drives are filling up fast. So, I need to reduce the size of the original data, but I want to be able to get it back someday.

Quality is not that big an issue, so I'm not worried about compression. A lot of these were taken pre-VHS, then put onto VHS in the early 90's, so the quality is basically poor.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by acollins

Is it possible to decode a movie burned onto a disc with iDVD? I am currently working on a large home movie project to digitize all our home movies and put them on DVD. The thing is, I want to have the original DV stream in case I ever want to go back and do something new, like take scenes from different DVDs and make a compilation DVD.

As I began this project, though, I discovered that a DV stream takes up HUGE amounts of space (like 2 gigs for less than 10 min!!). Both my hard drives are filling up fast. So, I need to reduce the size of the original data, but I want to be able to get it back someday.

Quality is not that big an issue, so I'm not worried about compression. A lot of these were taken pre-VHS, then put onto VHS in the early 90's, so the quality is basically poor.

Any suggestions?

Erm..tricky one this. Your best bet is to go out and buy a huge FW HD, like 200 gig plus. LaCie do great ones. But that's expensive.

There are tools to extract the MPEG2 files off the DVD and then you'll need Quicktime Pro to encode them back to DV to edit them. But that is going to be lossy and the quality will go down each time you do that.

Search around at version tracker for the software

The only other thing I can think of is to buy the cheapest DVD-Rs you can find and archive the DV clips onto them. DVD-Rs are getting cheap enough to do that now.

This is one area though where the HD sizes just can't be big enough..I'll end up buying a full RAID system
  • Reply 2 of 2
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    If you have a digital camera, you might try to record the digitized material on the camera (export to camera in iMovie).