Need Help, Mouse pointer acting funny.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

My mouse pointer from time to time will make a mad dash to one of the corners of the screen or the dock on it's own. I have repaired and verified permissions but no improvement.

This has been happening since I installed Office v.X. and 10.2.6.

Anyone else have the same problem? I have an iMac G4 800.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

Hi,

My mouse pointer from time to time will make a mad dash to one of the corners of the screen or the dock on it's own. I have repaired and verified permissions but no improvement.

This has been happening since I installed Office v.X. and 10.2.6.

Anyone else have the same problem? I have an iMac G4 800.

Thanks

What surface is your mouse on? My mouse would jump to the sides of the screen until I put a mouse pad underneath it, at the time I thought a mouse pad wasn't needed because it was optical, but I was wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

at the time I thought a mouse pad wasn't needed because it was optical, but I was wrong.

It's not necessary to have a mouse pad. You just need some kind of flat (flat as in "non-glossy") surface. I, for example, just keep a single sheet of paper under my mouse. I actually have it attached to the desktop on each corner with a small piece of tape so it doesn't move around.

More specifically, you can't really use any optical mice on glass-covered, mirrored or reflective, or shiny surfaces because they reflect the light in unpredictable ways. Also, optical mice will have trouble and skip if the surface has cracks, grooves, or scratches.

I'd suggest first doing what I did and placing a sheet of plain white paper under the mouse to see if that helps.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

It's not necessary to have a mouse pad. You just need some kind of flat (flat as in "non-glossy") surface. I, for example, just keep a single sheet of paper under my mouse. I actually have it attached to the desktop on each corner with a small piece of tape so it doesn't move around.

More specifically, you can't really use any optical mice on glass-covered, mirrored or reflective, or shiny surfaces because they reflect the light in unpredictable ways. Also, optical mice will have trouble and skip if the surface has cracks, grooves, or scratches.

I'd suggest first doing what I did and placing a sheet of plain white paper under the mouse to see if that helps.

Yeah, I remember talking with you about that Brad. I should have worded my response differently. My table has a glossy finish to it, that's what was causing the problem for me.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    It's one the same mouse pad I have been using for the last 6 months.

Maybe, I'll pay more attention to where the mouse is on the pad when this happens. i sure hope it's as simple as a problem with the pad.