Why there will be no Keynote Stream from Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As we all know, Apple has decided to not stream the keynote from WWDC this year via Quicktime. Instead, they will be broadcasting the speech from San Francisco via Sattelite to their stores.

I believe that they want people to go to the Apple Stores to see the keynote because the new Power Macs will be at the Apple Stores on Monday for people to try out and buy.

The RDF is always at it's strongest point right after a keynote, and if people are actually in a store and can walk out with a machine right then, people who weren't planning on buying one of the new machines right away would be hard pressed to hold off after 'test driving' it.

I wasn't planning on going to an Apple Store to see the keynote, but the chance to try out a G5 is just too tempting. I hope they actually have them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

As we all know, Apple has decided to not stream the keynote from WWDC this year via Quicktime. Instead, they will be broadcasting the speech from San Francisco via Sattelite to their stores.

I believe that they want people to go to the Apple Stores to see the keynote because the new Power Macs will be at the Apple Stores on Monday for people to try out and buy.

The RDF is always at it's strongest point right after a keynote, and if people are actually in a store and can walk out with a machine right then, people who weren't planning on buying one of the new machines right away would be hard pressed to hold off after 'test driving' it.

I wasn't planning on going to an Apple Store to see the keynote, but the chance to try out a G5 is just too tempting. I hope they actually have them.

EXACTLY. if you were within reasonable striking distance, would you stay at home or work with a potentially shaking and compressed digital stream, or hike your ass to an apple store and see it live?

plus, it'd be pretty cool if steve tells all the stores, via the satellite feed, to "reveal" the units at some point right at the end of the keynote.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    gakuseigakusei Posts: 35member
    What if there was a store 15 minutes away, but the keynote started at 12pm your time and class started at 1pm. And it's bad to miss class because there's only 20 days of classes....decisions...
  • Reply 3 of 44
    zoozx27zoozx27 Posts: 88member
    I completely disagree.

Apple could reach significantly more people through a web cast. Most don't buy from the apple stores anyway. The few machines apple sells through the store due to people being there is insignificant in comparison to the people that would order over the phone after a web cast. Many people would watch from work but will not take off to go to an apple store.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Wow, that is brilliant. Fran if it is not true and a keynote stream does come from Apple, you should be hired as head of sales strategy.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    and when apple announce the stream tomorrow lock this thread...
  • Reply 6 of 44
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zoozx27

I completely disagree.

Apple could reach significantly more people through a web cast. Most don't buy from the apple stores anyway. The few machines apple sells through the store due to people being there is insignificant in comparison to the people that would order over the phone after a web cast. Many people would watch from work but will not take off to go to an apple store.

Actaully most people do not watch streams from work they just check the news and purchase afterwords. Most professionals who would buy this most likely have acess to satellite. Only mac loyalist really watch the streams. And those loyalists will make the trip to the store. And by the way the apple stores sell a heck of alot.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Most streams that I try to watch online are crap. Even over a fast connection they die.\

Fran may have a point.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    anamacanamac Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

There are numerous major continents on the planet that do not have local Apple Stores. I hope all of you lucky enough to get to see the Steve in action will supply the rest of us with the good details!
  • Reply 9 of 44
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Since MSNBC.com streamed the iTMS/new iPod event in Cupertino I think there's a good chance they'll do the same with WWDC. I'll also bet that Apple will have a replay of the Keynote by Tuesday via Quicktime.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    bigjbigj Posts: 6member
    Damnit! I want keynote stream! I don't live near a store damnit!

I really want to be able to hear "I think you're really going to like this"
  • Reply 11 of 44
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    hopefully TechTV will TiVO the satellite feed and I'll get a peek that way, but I also have 2 Apple stores within 45 minutes of my house (Cincinnati and Columbus) so I may just head to a store and not risk missing it...
  • Reply 12 of 44
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    tech tv cuts to their moronic hosts wayy too much.and they cut in a little late once.

don't take the chance.

if they do rewatch on the tivo (god/alah/bhudda'sgreatest gift to TVkind.)

• Reply 13 of 44
    ironkneeironknee Posts: 76member
    also, if the rumors are true that there are boxes there, impulse buying!!

imagine being blown away at the announcements and then you turn around and the machines are there!...mmm reality distortion...
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Mmmm...there's something wrong with that math I've been to the Tyson's Corner store (which is showing the keynote) and I doubt that you could fit more than about 100 people in there to watch comfortably. If one in five buys a new PowerMac then you'd sell about 20 machines.

But If it was streamed, then there would be literally thousands of people in the DC Metro area watching. If only one in ten of those ordered a machine, Apple would sell hundreds.

Either way, I'm not going there to watch.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    zoozx27zoozx27 Posts: 88member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

Actaully most people do not watch streams from work they just check the news and purchase afterwords. Most professionals who would buy this most likely have acess to satellite. Only mac loyalist really watch the streams. And those loyalists will make the trip to the store. And by the way the apple stores sell a heck of alot.

Sorry, your just wrong. A few thousand will see this from the apple stores at most. Those numbers don't hold up to the web casts audience. People do watch from work! Many people watch from work and don't have satellites. Most labs and print output centers don't have dishes but they would have the web cast on. Apple stores sell squat compared to places like Mac connection & Mac Zone do at cheaper prices and in some cases no tax and shipping.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Fran is right. Apple is clearly setting a new policy and I think ALL future Stevenotes will be satellite/in store only. The webcast is dead.

Yes, they want the impulse buy. No, they don't care if they only sell 20 machines per store. Why? Press.

Which makes a better story for the AP wire?

In something of a internet event today, thousands of Mac loyalists watched a live webcast of Apple CEO Steve Jobs introducing the company's new line of Power Macintosh G5 computers. Tapping long pent up demand for faster professional machines, online orders are reportedly already very strong...

OR

Mall cops around the country were caught off guard today, as thousands of Mac loyalists lined up before dawn to cram into Apple Retail Stores nationwide to watch a live satellite broadcast of Apple CEO Steve Jobs introducing the company's new line of Power Macintosh G5 computers. With the surprise announcement of immediate availability, happy riots broke out as cheering Mac heads pounced on the few precious boxes as they were wheeled triumphantly from their back room hiding place.

"I couldn't believe it when they actually brought out the G5 boxes and people started diving on them. I'm so stoked I got mine!" said one elated shopper who had shown up at 5 AM. "I was just hoping to get a good seat for the show, I had no idea I'd be coming home with a new computer."

"We've never seen it so crazy here, and that's saying something" said the managers of Apple stores in Ohio, Arizona and Florida.

At the Glendale Galleria, security personal were bemused. "I remember when the store opened here two years ago", said one mall employee. "I couldn't believe people were here before sunrise then, but this G5 thing seems like even a bigger deal. I must have seen 100 big boxes go out the door in the first hour."

Though not webcast as past Apple events have been, live updates on Mac websites and message boards kept those not lucky enough to be near a store well informed. Tapping long pent up demand for faster professional machines, online orders are reportedly already very strong...
  • Reply 17 of 44
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    I hope they have an internet stream, because the only Apple store in my state doesn't have a theatre. If it did, I would get my butt over there first thing Monday morning. It would be a lot more fun to watch the keynote as a high quality TV broadcast (compared to Quicktime) with a whole bunch of other Mac lovers around (compared to being at home where no one cares).
  • Reply 18 of 44
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    There could be a surprise webcast, announced a half hour before it began. Almost everyone who was going to a store would at least be on their way by then, so they don't lose any "impulse sales."
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by qazII

There could be a surprise webcast, announced a half hour before it began. Almost everyone who was going to a store would at least be on their way by then, so they don't lose any "impulse sales."

That's actually a pretty good idea.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Well they sure don't need one now.