Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Where are you up to in the book ?

NO SPOILERS PLEASE

j.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    just finished it. i can't believe they killed off Hargrid at the end though!

he was my favorite!!!!

• Reply 2 of 27
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

just finished it. i can't believe they killed of Hargrid at the end though!

he was my favorite!!!!

SPOILER ! or you just teasing.....?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    FINE PIECE OF WRITING, THIS HARRY POTTER.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I wouldn't buy the book and help that bitch get any richer.

Murbot

What is wrong with her ?

She is far more deserving of her wealh that many other people (including the queen) and she uses her status for real good not just "look at me doing charity" which is far more than many other people do (including the queen).

j.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

he was my favorite!!!!

You just had to shoot your mouth off and spoil it for the rest of us, didn't you? I bet you think you're quite the clever one. I think you're somthing else!

• Reply 6 of 27
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I wouldn't buy the book and help that bitch get any richer.

You know? I worked last night at the midnight release for it at Barnes & Noble last night...450 people came for their reserved copies. That's incredibly low a number in my opinion. But I heard the suburbian stores had thousands...go figger.

The crowd was an interesting mix. Mostly young all dressed up (we had a costume contest) and middle aged fans. Even a few seniors.

But all in all for me it was a nightmare. I have a cold, I had to be in the magic show, greet people at the door and then work cashier at the end. GODRETAILSUX.

But all the while I was thinking two things:

1. J. K. Rowling will be even more bigger and richer than Martha Stewart when this is all over.

2. In the age of video games its really good to see that kids will read something. And if it is as good as they say it is...more power to her.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

In the age of video games its really good to see that kids will read something. And if it is as good as they say it is...more power to her.

True. And agreed to.

But how long (if not already) before there's a Harry Potter video game for the Playstation?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

Yes, but you can always read the manual/guide that comes with it!
  • Reply 9 of 27
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    I worked the rekease last night as well - hundreds of people, I also had to be back at work at 7 in the morning, when we sold hundreds more. The book is beautifully designed as well.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "She didn't do anything deserving of being called a "bitch" as far as I know."

Well, she did a quite hypocritcal reversal on her vow not to let HP become corportized and marketed to death.

I don't hate her, personally, but I'm not all that impressed with the books--i read the first, and was never sufficiently interested to read further.

She also, IMHO, desperately needs an editor--the latest is almost 1000 pages long, and based on the story I've read and seen EVERYWHERE I think she's pushing it, hard.

Finally, I believe a lot of anecdotal stories that the HP phenomenon makes kids read one thing: HP. It isn't some kind of "second coming" for reading and kids.

I'm more worried about the poor filmmakers--man, that franchise is going to be ancient by the time they finish.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

he was my favorite!!!!

alcimedes, I hope to god that you're just joking. If you spoiled it, I'll come up to Minnesota and kick your ass.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

True. And agreed to.

But how long (if not already) before there's a Harry Potter video game for the Playstation?

Actually, I once downloaded a version of a HP game that will play under OS X natively (you know, for the kids, but they're too young, so the game's rotting away into incompatibility), so I guess the Playstation's pretty well covered.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i actually just finished the book for real last night. and no, i won't post any real spoilers.

• Reply 14 of 27
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    I'm about 3/5 through, and I like it.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

he was my favorite!!!!

I'll bet anybody 1 million dollars he's not serious. Please somebody with a million dollars except.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

i actually just finished the book for real last night. and no, i won't post any real spoilers.

Well appreantly he already did post that, ooops. From now On I'll read the thread before I post.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

he was my favorite!!!!

I was mad in how they killed him. not sure why they had him get eaten by that spider...

• Reply 18 of 27
    flintflint Posts: 3member
    I've almost finished it (and no, I haven't got to the bit where anyone dies yet!) and I'd just like to say that the HP books are some of the most enjoyable I've read. I'm not saying they're 'literary classics' or anything (they may not be so well written as Philip Pullman's 'Dark Materials' trilogy or on a parr with Tolkein's 'Lord of the Rings') but you have to give credit where credit is due...

These books are going to around and remembered for years to come and in time they're going to make that jump from being a "cult classic" to a "genuine classic", I guess we'll just have to wait and see whether Harry leaves the same kind of impression on those reading it today as Frodo and Gandalf have on everyone in recent years...

Ultimately, JK Rowling's imagination and ability to write books in which you can lose yourself completely is pretty amazing... and face it, how many books cross that boundary and can be enjoyed by both children and adults?

I mean, how many of us have imagined ourselves as witches and wizards after reading HP?? I know there have been occasions when I have wished for a wand (complete with phoenix tale feather) so that I might put a 'hex' on say... my boss at work
  • Reply 19 of 27
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Just finished it last night. I wasn't even going to buy it until paperback.

For the detractors of the series, no they are not the greatest books in the world but they are a fun read, it genuinely captures the magic of being young. The format is nice, one book for one year. The saga is cohesive, Harry trying to learn, growing up while battling the Dark Lord. This comes from someone who spent years avoiding the books, sold them hand over fist when I ran a bookstore, "when's the next Harry Potter coming!!!" Got to be plain annoying, now I'm glad I jumped on that band wagon.

So those of you with a problem with Harry Potter, shut up and let the rest of us have some quiet reading time. Thank you
  • Reply 20 of 27
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

So those of you with a problem with Harry Potter, shut up and let the rest of us have some quiet reading time. Thank you

Feh.

*writes down Harry Potter underneath christianity and ricing on his list of "things BR just does not see what is so ****ing special about them"*