problems with iBook battery...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I don't know if others have had this problem but one day I was running my iBook 800 with 32MB VRAM and all of a sudden, it cuts off. My first instinct was that my battery had run down, however I don't remember seeing a red battery icon alerting me to plug in my iBook. Nevertheless, I plugged in my iBook and turned it back on. What I noticed is a X through the battery icon. I reseated the battery and it recognized the battery for about 2 minutes before going back to the X. Anyways, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    I have the exact same problem with my Powerbook G3....I'm really worried, does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Check your connectors make sure they are clean. If they are, I'd try to reformat. If that does work, you guys have a bad battery
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

Check your connectors make sure they are clean. If they are, I'd try to reformat. If that does work, you guys have a bad battery

Reformat the HD? That sounds a little drastic for a battery issue.

How 'bout this-- try resetting the Power Manager first:

Apple knowledge base article 14449
  • Reply 4 of 5
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i got no warnings for battery being low. so it went off in 0 % and sometimes dropped e.g. from 50 - 60 % to 0 % in a second. and the worst was 15 min time of use and switching off. i changed the battery, and the new works ok. but i still got no warnings.

i tried reformatting and isntalling jaguar again to see if it worked better again. so now i see the warnings again. great.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I've heard tons of stories about bad ibook batteries... Also make sure you aren't depressing the read battery levels meter, and the pressure you put down on the powerbutton isn't enough to depress it. These are things I've noticed that drain the battery quickly on my station. However I will reinstate that there all some battery stories where a user boots once full power,..15 minutes later,..."warning low battery"